Jobo 2509n 4x5, light leak or uneven development? HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ufpd, May 20, 2009.

1. ufpd

ufpd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi!

I am new to the 4x5 world. I recently purchased my first camera and a used Jobo CPP2 processor.

I am using a 2509 tank with a 6 sheet spiral, 5 minutes pre soak, 300cc TMAX-RS 75 degrees 1:9 dilution for 8.5 minutes. Stop and fixer. Al using position 4 for the motor rotation.

In one of the first batches I developed an unexposed sheet by mistake and I found strange bands in it. I assumed it was the sheet was fogged when loading or unloading.

So I repeated the experience, 3 exposed sheets and one unexposed. This time I used the black accesories that came with the spiral. I thaught it can be a problem with chemistry distribution. The result was the same.

Repeated again, I loaded 2 brand new sheets from the box (Tmax100) This time I was completely sure there was no problem with loading or unloading since I skipped the holder, from the box to the tank. Same results.

[​IMG]

In this photo you can se the bands. Exagerated for viewing pourposes.
    The two sheets are from diferent batches, and the pattern is ALWAYS the SAME

I discarded: film problems, loading and unloading problems.

I only can think of a light leak in the tank or uneven development. But the patters are SO alike I think it can only be a light leak.

I tried to find the same band pattern in exposed sheets but none of them have them as far as I can see.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance

Alejandro

2. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Was the film x-rayed in transit to you ? Possibly a normal exposure would swamp the banding, but it does look pretty strong.

Alternatively, what is the developer flow in your tank during rotation - like you say, it could be that although the exposed sheets would also look odd ?? I'm curious as I'm just about to start getting 'proper' with large format, after a gap of nearly twenty years (previously i worked in a lab and we used deep-tanks, perfect results).

3. ufpd

ufpd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    YES!

It could be the answer. I brought the box from USA to Argentina in my lugagge! The security people told me there are no problems up to ISO800.

I will buy a new box and tried again!

Thanks a lot!

Alejandro

4. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Carry on or check in luggage ? I've never had an issue with passenger security scans, ie-4x5 Tri X getting five or six passes. Check in luggage however will fry film so to speak.

5. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks exactly like checked luggage fogging to me - a clearly identifiable pattern. In 35mm I've seen a continuous "sine wave" fogging down the entire length of the film.

Bob H

6. Philip Jackson

Philip Jackson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Standards for x-ray exposure are probably set for 35mm film protected inside a metal canister. Sheet film, normally packaged in a cardboard box, and is probably more susceptible. 120 format roll film would be similar.

Signs in the airport also indicate the sensitivity of the film is a factor. I don't know whether its true or not but I've heard that the reason that Kodak didn't market its T-Max 3200 speed b&w film as a 120 roll film is that they thought it would be too vulnerable to cosmic radiation. Ilford came along later and didn't think it was such a big issue, and seems to have been proved largely right, unless they have different expiry dates on the 35mm and 120 Delta 3200?

Philip Jackson

7. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I found this document from Kodak regarding the affect of xray machines and baggage - http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

I believe you can insist on a hand check of film at airports in the USA. In Europe, it isn't so easy, so I pack a sacrificial roll of Delta 3200 and the Kodak document - When challenged, point to the film, warning sign, and printout.