Jobo back in US

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got an email from Freestyle and they said "Jobo processors are returning to the United States market and Freestyle is the exclusive distribution partner! Jobo accessories will now be more readily available such as all primary Jobo processing."

Good news?

2. newtorf

newtorf Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I guess so. I am looking for stainless steel reels (both 135 and 120) for my newly acquired jobo CPE2. They are very hard to find.

3. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope they import the new jobo machine.

4. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for not posting the whole part if the email regarding Jobo products. But here it is.
    "As for new products, Jobo processors are returning to the United States market and Freestyle is the exclusive distribution partner! Jobo accessories will now be more readily available such as all primary Jobo processing reels, tanks, bottles and most replacement parts except for the circuit boards for older processors. The new processor is called the CPP-3, an updated version of the Jobo CPP-2, with a better circuit board and improved performance features. The CPP-3 will accept all original Jobo accessories. Please contact me if you have an interest in this new processor, as it will help us determine our initial order. It should be available to ship to customers in the United States early 2013."

5. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The new processor is a lovely bit of equipment but the price........... Over £2000 in UK. I think I will stay with my CPE2. It may be old and battered but it works.

6. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Aren't catlabs, the jobo hoarders in Jamaica Plain, Ma. who frequently post here regarding these machines, a Jobo dealer?

7. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Why not use the (easily found) plastic ones?

I use them for everything from 35mm up to 4x5" and think they're fine.

8. mark

mark Member

I guess this is good news but when someone says "exclusive dealer" it just means "no one can sell these but us so you suckers pay what we want you to pay". I have always wanted a JOBO but prices on the tank I need never really dropped in price enough to warrant a purchase. Now that new machines are available the prices will creep back up I suppose.

9. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We sure are :smile:, and have been for a while.
    Its great see more of Jobo in the US market.

10. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe this will drive the price down a bit on used expert drums. I got my unused 3010 back in the Spring for $380, passed up the chance to buy another one for $300 and now they seem to be going for stupid prices again.

I get it dried out fast enough for back to back runs, but a second one for backup and heavy capacity sake would be nice.

I am still seriously considering a CPP3 for next year, I can sell my CPP2 and write the new purchase off.

11. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    They keep moving back the delivery. I gave up and am building my own from PVC sheet and controlling a much more powerful motor with a cnc controller which will give me umlimited ability to program agitation. It will accept my lifts amd there will be a dual heater system, a pig warmer underneath the whole unit and a submersible heater in the reservoir. I have an easily obtainable/replaceable inexpensive aquarium pump which will move more water than the Jobo pump..About $600.00 finished for the whole unit..

12. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Evan,

Is this just a project for you or do you plan to build, sell and service these for all of us?

John Powers

13. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As i recall, there are at least three distinct threads on APUG discussing folks how set off to build their own processor to accept Jobo tanks (or others), with cheap\commercially available hardware. None have yet to show any progress (some are several years old).

In any case i think its a great idea and the design prospect sounds promissing - good luck! i am looking forward to seeing such a thing become a reality.
    If you ever make another one, or mass produce them i will be your first customer.

On another note - though the new CPP3 will have pretty much endless speed and heat control (choose 1 of 100 settings), why wait for something that is as you say being pushed back, when late SN CPP2 are available right now, not to mention brand new CPP2 which are also readily available (4 week lead time, special order)? You might not be saving alot of $$$ going that route, but you will have it right now...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Mine will be done in a week.It's the second generation, Tank is made, lift fits..everything is in place. I build machines and products for a living and now have this little deal under control..It will be a way better machine than the CPP3.,

16. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    John, No, just making one for me and Frank and Zhu..

17. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Then why is freestyle claiming an exclusive distribution deal for the cpp3 in the U.S.?

18. scheimfluger_77

scheimfluger_77 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    The aquarium pump is a good alternative. I replaced two failing pumps ($165 each) in my minilab printer with $30 aquarium pumps and they did a great job.

Steve

19. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Way better than the Jobo pump. I'm pumping the water from the opposite end, no circuit boards sitting above the water. I'll be using it in a week.

20. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a difference between a importer-distributor and a dealer.

21. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good news indeed!

22. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I recently bought brand new 1 liter Jobo bottles from Freestyle for $6 each, and I noticed they have brand new stainless film reels from Hewes in stock for both 135 and 120 film, for both the 1500 and 2500 series tanks. No actual tanks yet, but the other parts are much cheaper than used ones on ebay.

23. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good point. But if freestyle is in fact the sole U.S. distributer why would they choose to diminish profits by selling wholesale to other dealers? Doesn't make any sense.

24. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think some people are just hung up on stainless (possibly from using bad plastic reels in the past) and prefer them.

That's fine of course, but I find the plastic Jobo reels the easiest to load of any reel I've ever used, and they work fine. The only advantage I can think of to the stainless ones is that you can blast the daylights out of them with a hairdryer without worry about damaging them from the heat, then re-use them quickly.

25. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good find. I am really looking forward to seeing these items in retail outlets like Freestyle rather than eBay hoarders who often triple the price.

26. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Progress on the home build

Tank is welded together, lift is mounted, motor and control are finished..programming it is spectacular..millions of possible variables in the rotation and cycle. Need to install the drum pan, a couple fittings, machine a spindle adapter to accept the drive gear, fill it with water and develop film!!! Evan Clarke