Jobo CPP2, Lift - failure to rotate in one direction

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by arigram, Feb 18, 2007.

1. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Let me be more descriptive of the problem because the title line is too short:
    One of the two small white cog axis of the Lift, that transfers the motion from the main cog of the processor to the drum, often snaps off during rotation.
    (see illustrations)
    Specifically during the clockwise rotation.
    And more specifically usually after a second rotation. The first one goes well, then during the first circles of the second rotation it happens.
    That happens with any drum size, load, weight and rotation speed.
    The motor suddently stops, screams with creaking sounds and if not turned off instantly, the cog head of the white axis pops out. Its fairly hard to pop it out by hand, so I am not sure what makes it go like this. I've always been kind of the Jobo CPP-2 unit which was bought new about a year ago and never had problems until recently.
    I haven't been able to trace the problem and can be really disastrous if it happens during film development.

Any clues?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  2. David Louis

David Louis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  3. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you David,
    I can't believe I missed that little detail in the instructions.
    Something tells me that I've done it before: got it right and
    somehow messed it up again.

4. SusanK

SusanK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    arigram,

How do you pop this transfer fear out ? I just bumped into this thread after word searching a similar problem w/ my CPP-2. In my case, the tank rotates in one direction just fine. When it goes to switch into the opposite direction, it's as if the little three pronged, white plastic piece doesn't get completely tripped. This results in the tanks spinning 1/8 of turn in one direction, 1/8 of a turn in the opposite direction, repeats this "stuttering" 2-3 times, and finally gets going again.

My CPP-2 didn't have a manual w/ it. I will remove the left transfer gear and see if this helps. Anyone else have any thoughts ???

SusanK

5. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  6. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To remove it follow the instructions on the attached drawing.

Attached Files:

7. SusanK

SusanK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

I checked for the extra turn gear after work yesterday and found that I do _not_ have one after all. So, now I'm unsure as to what caused the weird rotation of the tank the other night. I lowered the water level in the trough and processed another test roll last night (I'm film testing for N and N+ times). The tank rotation was perfect last night. Maybe I had the water level in the trough too high the other night. Unfortunately, I am once again getting uneven development.

Film testing has become an expensive and frustrating experience. I gave up on Pyrocat HD due to _really_ bad uneven development. Began again using HC-110 which has been fine up until now. What a pain. :sad:

Thanks for your help.

SusanK