Jobo Expert drum on Unicolor roller base.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by BradS, Mar 3, 2008.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So, I get a Jobo 3006 and Unicolor roller base. I thought that this would be a slick way to do 5x7's.

Although the drum fits on the rollers, it seems like it doesn't make it all the way around before changing directions. Obviously, this is no good....

I've got a Jobo CPE processor and the Expert drums dont fit in there at all....

What's a guy to do?

2. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know what the diameter of the your 3006 drum is, but I use a 3010 drum on a Uniroller. It has 5 "tubes" for film. I load 6 sheets into 3 tubes and set the tank on the Uniroller with the space between the two empty tubes at top dead center. Each empty tube gets almost to bottom dead center when the motor reverses. I get very even development and I'm going to try 8 sheets adding one sheet to each of the empty tubes. I figured all this out by placing the 3010 tank on the Uniroller without the lid. I stuffed different color wash cloths in the tubes and watched what happened.

Also, there is a way to bypass the switch that changes direction. Someone more clever than I will have to explain that.

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure ? Stick some paper in it and test. A quick test print should give you a quick test and if it doesn't work you'll only waste a sheet of 5x7.

4. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, you're processing 5x7 prints? OK, for that use, I picked up a Jobo 2840 print drum with the tank base, lid, print light trap and red stopper for $18 at the same time I bought the Uniroller for $20. I know the 2840 makes a complete revolution per each direction change. I think that drum will handle 4 5x7 sheets.

5. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yeah. I'm sure. I simply set the empty drum on the roller and watched the label. It doesn't make it all the way. I did end up using it as, I only had two sheets to process. I did exactly what Venchka suggested, loaded the two tubes away from the label and made sure to set the drum on the rollers so that the label was always visible - 'up'. It worked but, It's like having a capacity of six and only being able to use five.

6. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, no, I'm processing 5x7 sheet film but, what you describe seems like it would work for film too. Even better, I think the 2840 might work in the CPE too. ...anybody know for sure?

7. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Brad, try setting the empty drum on the roller with the lid off and see where each tube ends up when the direction reverses. I also noticed that over a period of 9-10 minutes (my time for HP5+ in D-76 1:1), that the drum "walks" enough on the rollers that the tubes that started out on top ended up near the bottom & vice versa. I wish Jobo made a clear lid so you could see what's happening with the liquid. Anyway, try a sheet of film in the top tube with the label UP when you start and see what happens.

8. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Take the roller base apart and disenable the mechanism that causes it to change directions. I have read that it is a cam and a switch. I am thinking about going this direction too, tired of tray development. I own a Cibachrome base that only turns in one direction. I have read from many posts on this site and others that the one direction rotation causes no issues with uneven development. If you are really worried you can flip the drum over every minute.

Are you going to fill the drum with a funnel on the base while rotating or just fill it on the counter and stick it on the base? I also read that a pre-soak is a must if that helps.

9. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I took one apart and found a little tab that rotates and hits a switch -- that then reverses to motor, until the tab sweeps around the other direction and hits the switch again. I just bent the tab so it could not hit the switch and it no long changes direction.

Vaughn

10. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    why not just a see-through expert drum? :tongue:

11. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's a good idea. I think I'll give it a try. No, I wouldn't worry about it turning only one direction the whole time. The motion of the liquids inside would still seem to be pretty chaotic. Besides, I don't worry about much - no point.

OK, This turns out to be important. Yesterday, I just set the drum upright on the counter and poured the liquids straight in with a funnel....bad idea! BIG MESS!!! Turns out, you gottta tilt it a litte bit. Doesn't matter if you're using a funnel or not.

So, I'm going to modify the roller base so it doesn't change directions and I'll just take the drum off the base when it's time to dump and fill. No big deal. This will be so sweet to get working.

12. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Brad--thanks for the filling heads up.

Let me know how it goes---I will get one sooner or later just have to part with the cash :sad:

13. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Brad, following up on your question about the 2840 drum. I use those for processing four sheets of 5x7 at a time, in my case on a CPP2, but it will be OK on the CPE.

14. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    More trivia:

1. One liter of fluid for all steps.
    2. 5 minute pre-soak.
    3. Wal-Mart sells a 1 liter funnel with an open-close valve and plastic delivery tube in the automotive section. It's perfect for filling as the drum turns.

Good luck!

15. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Venchka----Do you really think that it is necessary to fill as the drum turns??? I have been wondering that ever since I decided to get one?

16. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. ReallyBigCameras

ReallyBigCameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In addition to the Uniroller base, there are other brands - some that reverse direction and some that don't. For example, Beseler makes two models of motor bases - the 8921 and 8922. The 8921 is unidirectional. The 8922 has a switch that lets you select either unidirectional (continuous) or reversing operation.

The Beseler motor bases also have a couple other nice features lacking on the Uniroller. They have a leveling wheel on the base that lets you raise or lower one side to get it perfectly level and keep the drum from walking off the base during use. A related feature is there is a small "channel" that mates with a band on the Beseler (or Chromega) drums that also keeps the drums centered on the base and prevents them from walking off the base during rotation.

One other significant difference is the Beseler bases rotate at about 2x the speed of the Uniroller. That may be an issue for some developers that suffer from oxidation with excess agitation. Of course RPM on these motor bases is a function of the diameter of the drum being used. For a large drum, like the Jobo expert drums it's about 30 RPM. With smaller diameter print drums (like the 8x10 Unidrums, Beseler and Chromega) the RPM with the Beseler base is about 60 RPM.

Kerry

18. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always put the chemicals in while the drum is turning using a flexible funnel. But I have heard of others who just pour the chemicals in while the drum is standing on end and they have no problems. The easy way is to defeat the reversing switch and turn it over by hand every so often. Or just try it one way. Again some people seem to be Ok without reversing. I did it the hard way and added some electronics to control the reverse so it turns 2 reveolutions each way. Seems to be lots of ways to use the base and drum. Do a search here and the large format forum as this seems to be a common topic for many years.

19. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Imitating the Jobo processors

I don't know about necessary, but the funnel cost less than $2 and it sure makes me feel better. I set my timer with an extra 30 seconds, start the Uniroller, start the timer, get the funnel and hose in position and pour the developer at the start of my developing time. I repeat the process for my water stop bath dumping the developer with about 45 seconds left on the timer. The stop goes in the rotating tank when the developing time is done. So far it works for me.

20. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Venchka--Thanks for the reply. Sounds logical to me and if it is no trouble to do it that way--then why not.

Have you ever tried only using a half liter of chems? I have read were people say a half liter works just fine and some recommend a full liter--it seams 50/50.

Thank you MM

21. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jobo recommends a minimum developer volume of 210 ml and a maximum of 1000ml for the 3006 drum. I've developed 4x5 film in my 3010 drum using 400ml of developer when I only had a few sheets of film to develop.

22. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    D-76 1:1

I use 1 liter of D-76 1:1 following Kodak's minimum 8 ounces of D-76/8x10 equivalent. 1 liter is enough developer for 8 sheets of 4x5 film. So far, I have processed 6 sheets in 3 tubes in the Jobo 3010. The next time I have 8 sheets I will try 1 sheet in each of the extra tubes. If I were using a different developer, like Xtol, I could reduce the volume.

23. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Are you talking about the 3006 or the 3010 drum ?

With the 3006, I used 400ml and it worked out fine. The lable on mine says something like 210ml - 450ml for 6 sheets of either 4x5 or 5x7. Does the 3010 use up to 1 liter?

24. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Jobo says 1 liter

Somewhere on the internet there is a chart from Jobo. They list 1 liter as the maximum for the 3010. That's probably based on weight & their motor and tank support. The 3010 will hold more that that, about 1.5 liters, in the horizontal position. If somebody wanted to use the 3010 tank for inversion agitation, the total would be closer to 3 liters.

25. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yea I was talking about the 3010 Drum. Guess I was on my own train of thought. Sorry bout that, but thanks for the info. Now I just need to lay down the big coin.