JOBO GOES DIGITAL

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Bruce Osgood, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wonder if Jobo realizes that their digital products don't distinguish themselves in the market - one external DVD is pretty much like the next.

3. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why cant photography shops remain photography shops without for some reason thinking that they need to become digital photography shops, its like those shite magazines.

4. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your income were shrinking by, say, 20-30% each year, with no end in sight, wouldn't you find another way to make a living, before you starve?

It's funny, I was just thinking today about all the little gadgets and gizmos we use in darkrooms, like measuring graduates, film clips, glassine envelopes, proof printers, tongs, trays... with the next generation of photographers almost certain to be 95% digital, companies like Paterson, Falcon and Jobo will not be around (in their present form) much longer.

Because most of the darkroom supplies we buy (other than chemicals) last for years and years, darkroom equipment mfrs have always depended for their sales on new people coming into the field. How many developing trays do you plan to buy next year? Zero, right?

There will (hopefully) always be enough of us to ensure that film, paper and chemicals will be available, but what about all those little hardware items that we all rely upon so heavily in the darkroom? Sad, really sad...

5. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't buy 'photography specific' items if there is something else that will do the job just as well. Like, for example, film clips, plastic clothes pegs work fine for me.

6. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not saying they should sell digital, I just don't see the need to change your name to "digital this" or "Digital that" as if not having digital in your name means you don't sell digital.