JoBo Mistral 2 Maintenance & Questions

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by TimVermont, Mar 29, 2008.

1. TimVermont

TimVermont Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently bought a very used JoBo Mistral 2 dryer off EPay. To say that it was in ugly shape when it arrived would be a compliment. Attached are some photos that may help anyone looking to clean one up. It was very easy to open and clean the head: two #1 phillips head screws and three tabs in slots keep it together. Autobody trim pins to fit GM cars are workable replacements for missing original pins. The GM pins fit through the grommets on the film drying bags (cabinets?) and can be left sticking out a little more than the JoBo pins, which may be a plus if you change bags often. (Yes, I know you are wondering...Mercedes-Benz pins are not the right size, despite the original cost of the dryer.)

My questions are: Would someone please post a picture of the original filter assembly? What came with mine is just a layer of green synthetic filter material flopped over the top, but it leaves a gap at the side for dust to get in. I doubt it is original. Also, what is the snap fastener on the side of the head for?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Glenn Yee

Glenn Yee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Snap on the side of the head is to fasten the front of the bag to when loading film.

3. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim-

If you remember, I recently acquired one myself. Mine had the original black foam filter still installed, otherwise known as a black gooey dust particle generator that had to be scraped off in parts. For a replacement, I bought some charcoal-activated filtration material at Home Depot - one side is green, the other side black. I put the black side up, away from the fan, and the green side down. I just measured a square just slightly smaller than the top of the Mistral, cut it out, and placed it under the black metal retaining clip.