Jobo Processors - what will everyone do when his Jobo dies?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by jeroldharter, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Every once in awhile I panic at the thought that my Jobo CPP-2 will die. It makes film processing so much easier that I tend to take it for granted. As I understand it, Jobo no longer is in business. Is that correct? I saw a CPP-2 listed at B&H today for $3300 without the lift! Seems like people are excited about the resurrection of Agfa paper (I never tried it in the first place) but I would be happy if someone could resurrect Jobo. Hard to imagine they could not make money with all of us willing to spend nearly $300 on a drum alone.

What will everyone do when his Jobo dies

2. rharoldp

rharoldp Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a second CPE for parts.
    Beyond that I’ll have a cry and move on.

3. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

After JOBO

Nitrogen Gas Burst

I have already started consistently working with my plan B even though my CPP2 is bearly used and it is simply fabulous. Pull out the old Kodak 4a steel sheet film hangers, flip a switch and let her rip. Only moving part is the Ansco gas solenoid valve (still being made as we speak) and these solenoid valves last a reputed 20 years + with regular use. I do not have to worry about motors or gears or pumps going out and not being able to secure parts.

The labs that still do my occasional E6 use N2 gas burst so if it works for them why not us in smaller scale applications?

I have perfected my tray developing technique and can use it when I have to but using tanks and gas burst developing is 100% consistent and 0% chance of operator abuse to the emulsion.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers!

4. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last year, planning ahead for just such a possibility (eventual death of my CPA-2), I purchased a new CPP-2 as a spare. The CPA-2 was no longer available. That was before supply dwindled to virtually nothing and the price doubled.

The only decision left to make is whether to use the CPA or the CPP first. CPP holds temperature better but I speculate its electronic control system will be unrepairable in 15-20 years when it might fail. The CPA uses a simple mechanical thermostat, which has a greater chance of being substituted that far in the future. So I'm leaning toward using the CPP now.

5. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I immediately went to the B&H site to confirm the $3400.00 price on the CPP2 and you're right. Freestyle and Calumet don't even list them anymore. It's interesting that the lift arm didn't go up nor did the $499.00 tempering box. The lift arm is one item to stock up on as they are known to have trouble- usually because of not being used properly. I heard that Jobo would still be making the CPE-2s. I bought several new Jobo processors over the last 2 years and was hoping to get one more new CPP2 but not for $3400.00. If money was no object I would no doubt buy four new CPP2s (at the new price, even) to be on the safe side. It will be interesting to see what effect this new Jobo price-point will do to prices on the auction site.

It's important to keep in mind that the Jobo processors were built to take a lot of use from pro photographers and small labs. The ammount of use that the average APUGger would subject the processor to is likely far less than what the machine was designed for. I once met an amateur photographer who said he processed thousands of 4x5 sheet films in Expert drums through his 1st Revision CPA without any trouble.

Jobo used to sell rebuild and upgrade kits and maybe they still do. :confused:

6. Alan9940

Alan9940 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If my CPP-2 ever gets to the point of being unrepairable by a service technician or I can't kludge something together to make it work, like Richard, I berieve for my loss and, then, move on. Developing roll film in small tanks, again, wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities (I guess), but sheet film? I used to process LF film in trays, but after my first run on the Jobo in an Expert Drum I tossed the trays and never looked back! Maybe for LF film I'd pull out my BTZS tubes...dunno, though.

LONG LIVE OUT JOBO PROCESSORS!!!!

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like Richard and Alan, I'd find a way to fix it, or switch to something else. Currently, the primary purpose of mine is for processing 4x5 B&W in a 2500 tank. Lots of people run those successfully on Beseler or Ciba motor bases which would be easy to replicate if needed.
    FWIW, I believe Jobo is still in business, just not in the small-batch photo processor business.

8. schroeg

schroeg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My CPE died recently and I tried a Uniroller with the Jobo tank. Works like a charm and may actually be better for some of the pyros in terms of reduced oxidation. The Uniroller cost me $26. Just have to keep an eye on temperature - otherwise I will not miss my Jobo too much (especially their ridiculous prices for just about everything).

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd just make a water bath for my Expert drums and get a gear set from McMaster Carr so I could hand-crank the drums, and hook up a funnel/spigot to get my chems inside. That's 90% of what a CPA/CPP does for you, other than temperature control.

10. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Omega-Satter will service the Jobo units, and replacement parts are still being made.

My next alternative would be the BTZS tubes...

Edwin

11. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I did. After buying my first one at a photo swap meet about 9 years ago I bought another one for a backup off ebay 4 years ago.

12. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To give you the last update from Jobo (Gummersbach). The CPP-2 is the last type processor which is made for the time being.

For B&W there is the Heiland TAS film processor alternative which can accept Jobo tanks (15XX/25XX), Kindermann, Paterson and others on request.

So max. 4x5" is possible with the Jobo 2509N (6 sheets)
    120/220 and 35mm in different sizes tank is not a problem.

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/TAS_Flyer_D.pdf

13. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

as long as you can get a new motor and heating coil, I don't know what else can really break?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom, I recently received a CPE2 as a gift, (graciously). I had only had it for about 1 month when a friend called, who, in the middle of doing about three loads of C41 4x5", had his machine stop.

After a phone call, he came to my place and picked up my spare CPE2, which I had hastily checked to see if it ran, it did.

Eventually he traced the fault to the power supply, it had died. He found a power supply in Scotland, for about $40 USD on the net.

I'm not sure whether there aren't other bits of the electrical system that can be sourced, but obviously the power supply can be sourced for the early model CPE2 units.

Mick.

16. Byron Worthen

Byron Worthen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This has been on my mind, lately, as well. I not only process my 4X5 film in my JOBO, I also do all of my print processing in it. Did put in the motor upgrade a couple of years back. I NEED my JOBO.

17. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    This thread is my worst nightmare and blessing, One it proves I am not the only one worried about this, I own 2large and 1 small Jobo and I have invested in so many accessories from 35 to 16x20 expert film drums, I am going nuts trying to find a potential replacement.
    If your unit has a auto lift arm like the two larger ones that I have, getting replacements in a timely manner from OS or even Jobo Europe, is very dicey. They will tell you 90 days if the part is not in stock.
    I think I can understand Jobos position , due to the current digital wave, but there are those of us who do have the equipment/ invested in their equipment , and will use their equipment in the future. I would think they would be wise enought to listen to a commited group.
    I would be interested in any all new methods, I have done nitrogeon burst and I can assure you unless you have a specific tank layout , that is very well designed to give even agitation the problems are nightmarish.
    But with that said I have considered getting Tom Vangarder in the States to design me such an unit and he has, when/ if Jobo does go the way of the dodo bird.

18. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have 2 Jobos, one ATL1000 and one CPP2. My CPP2 is venerable and I hold my breath every time I use it. I only do B&W so I am a little uncomfortable about the ATL temperatures (75 deg. +) and the variety of chemicals I use is not optimum for the ATL workflow. I have an Arkay E6/C41 processing sink with all the nitrogen burst apparatus but it takes 2 1/2 gallons of chemicals, not great for my workflow. I guess it will be back to trays and tanks/hangers for me..Evan Clarke

19. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be gutted if my CPE2 packed up.
    Having said that, they are pretty simple devices, and (fairly) easily repairable, assuming a moderate understanding of things electrical.

Manfred of Ludens.cl has built a jobo-esque processor, which uses some rather neat temperature control techniques. I have a copy of his BASIC Stamp controller code saved offline, so if necessary, I could completely refit the control gear and add digital control to my jobo for around £100.

I also have some schematics for a slightly modified replacement for the Jobo stock PCB, which should come out a bit cheaper

IIRC, you can get replacement rotation motors in the guise of windscreen wiper motors.

http://www.ludens.cl/photo/processor/processor.html
    http://www.ludens.cl/Electron/photoproc/photoprc.html
    http://www.tech-diy.com/jobo.htm

20. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,

the TAS looks like a fine appparatus, but it lacks temperature control. Right?

Greetings,
    G

21. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know what everyone is freaking out about.

If you can make your own b&w emulsion and coat it on a base, you can darn well fabricate an automated processing unit on the bones of a Jobo.

The only thing that is gone is the convenience of standardized parts and a dealer network, which appears to be fading anyway.

Why is everyone, other than ben-s, acting as if common electrical and mechanical knowledge is disappearing with Jobo?

Get a grip folks! :wink:

22. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Correct. That's why I suggessted, for B&W films.....
    But the temperature correction is build in the program. It automatically recalculate the right developer time based on the 20 degrees C tables. Also 2 bath development is possible by using the extra external memory card.

But even I use it for C41 development too. I have already a TBE2 and then the Jobo tank is isolated with 3M isolation material which is enough to keep the 37,8 within 1 degrees C during the 3:15min. C41 development.
    With the K54 (C41) kit from Amaloco the allowed temperature range is even wider. I am using the 1520 tank which is then filled with 500ml liquid. 2x 135-36 or 2x 120 roll films.
    E6 will be a problem because this is rather critical.

23. Gustavo_Castilla

Gustavo_Castilla Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    humm !
    the same as I been doing trays and Inspection for me

24. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, my CPE2 has already died once - the heating element went (must be a crack in the ceramic somewhere, although I can't see it - the element started shorting to ground; fortunately earth leakage breaker stopped it electrocuting me :smile:.)

I disconnected the element from the thermostat and replaced it with an aquarium-type heater. Works absolutely fine; only downside is it takes a *lot* longer to warm up...

(I didn't know if replacements for the original heater element were available - sounds like they are though from what other people have mentioned? Looks like it could be a bugger to fit though, from memory of the innards...)

25. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It seems to be a standard heating element. Same with the sensor: PT100.

26. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Kino
    I would love for you to come to replace a lift arm on a Alt 2300, If you can do it I tip my hat to you.