Jobo Recirculation Problem

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Scott Ridgeway, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Scott Ridgeway

Scott Ridgeway Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I recently purchased a Jobo ALT-2 with a water bath recirculation problem. When the power is first turned on, the recirculation pump runs for 5 to 45 seconds or so, and then stops. I have to older ATL-2's that I can use for parts, but am not sure what is happening. Any thoughts?

2. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is a circuit-breaker or over-temp sensor tripping or something? Is the water actually circulating with the pump running?

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could a temp. sensor react after only 5sec of assumed over-strain?

4. Scott Ridgeway

Scott Ridgeway Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Sorry, I should have been more specific, and provided more info.

Yes, the water is actually circulating. As I said, it works for a few to several seconds and then stops. If I turn off the power, and immediately turn it back on, the water again recirculates for a few to several seconds—then stops.

5. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Even if the thermal protection circuit is tripped, you would have had to reset it before the motor came back on.

This is often caused by debris build up in the pump shaft housing, Or the motor is otherwise obstructed in some way, causing it to heat/seize.
    The pump shaft housing is easily removed and cleared.
    If that does not do it, you will need to lubricate the pump motor it self. One - two squirts of lube spray (we like PB plaster) will do.
    Opening the housing is a bit more challenging but there are details instructions on our manual section
    www.jobo-usa.com/resources/manuals

The motor might also have a corroded shaft, which might be beyond repair, you will only find that out when you open it up and have a look.

Good luck.

Let us know what you find.