?Jobo tank for 8X10 film?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Robert T. McCarthy, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Robert T. McCarthy

Robert T. McCarthy Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi:

Did Jobo ever make a tank for developing 8X10 sheet film?

Regards.

Bob

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They made tanks for 10x8 prints, so yes there's no difference.

Ian

3. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, but they did produce the the Expert 3005 tank that can hold 5 sheets of 10x8. You could trying putting your film in sideways.

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Since JOBO are German, it is far more likely that the tanks are made for 18x24cm film, with the possibility of 20,3x25,4cm film as an afterthought. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  5. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Maybe yes, maybe no, Ole. There is more than one German firm that has seen the USA as a pretty good market rather than an afterthought. For many of the early years 50% then 60% of Porsche’s production came over here. Now if you put the film on its side as mentioned, 8x10 and 10x8 adds up to a sizable market.

Joking aside, many of us use the 3005 Expert drum in the CPP-2 and CPA Jobo. I do not think it will work on the CPE, but someone else correct me if needed. If you want to use a pyro developer, I particularly like Rollo Pyro from Bostick and Sullivan. Rollo Pyro developer was designed for use in the Jobo.

John Powers

6. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John is correct, the expert drums are too large to be used on the CPEs. Also, if you wish to use the expert drums on the CPA, and CPPs, you want to check that the rotation motor and drive circuit are up to driving them - Jobo rotation motor upgrade bulletin.

7. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Seriously for a moment, I use paper drums for 8x10" (and 5x7", and 13x18, 18x24, 24x30 and 30x40cm) films. The 2830 print drum takes four 5x7" or two 8x10", or one 24x30cm. The main difference with the 2840 is that that tank can also take 11x14" or 30x40cm.

I might have bought an "expert" drum, if I had a larger machine than the CPE-2. But since the CPE is all I have, and I get great results from that, I see no reason to upgrade.

I even do E6 in print drums, and have had no problems (except stupidity - like loading two sheets on top of each other).

8. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Or using plain water as a developer. :smile:

Ole, any chance of another get-together like you arranged before? I'd love to come.

9. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There's always a possibility, but I don't know when I could have the time to organise one. This year at least my work scedule is far to unpredictable to plan anything more than (at most) one week ahead, and I don't know what the next year will be like.

But there are other get-togethers: Farris Fotoklubb is arranging one; so far these have tended to be definitely LF-biased.

And Emil Schildt ("gandolfi") is arranging one in Denmark this summer. at least the roads are better there, even if the landscape is a bit too horizontal for my taste. :wink:

10. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should have added that, like Ole, I use the 28xx series print drums for my 5x7s.

11. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Jobo 3005 Expert Drum was specifically made for 8x10 film, and the 3004 Expert Drum will also fit the 8x10 film. Each one fits 5 sheets of 8x10 film.