Jobo: This could really be a score guys...

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by dwdmguy, Nov 9, 2009.

1. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  2. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ya, I looked at that guy. no way I can fit in my place right now :sad:. Automated is nice, but I think when I get a Jobo of my own it'll be a cpa or cpp2. just film for me, no paper developing.

but yes, from the looks of it, looks like a steal alright!

-Dan

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw that but unfortunately cant get to Mich.

Wish I had the bread for your Imacon, I'm still running a Microtek 120tf that is pretty decent but...

4. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    bruce, did you read that he will transport to during the month.

5. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1/2 way from michigan to NY. not to california unfortunately :sad:.

6. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dan, purchase it then have it delivered to me in NJ and I'll make sure it works ok until you come to pick her up? :smile:

7. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like it isn't complete? ?

Oh wait maybe it is but the one photo of the jumbled mess in the drum chamber scares me.

It at least needs a major cleaning :wink:

8. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom,

can't do that. my student budget's finance director(me :D) can't allow that expenditure in foresight of future MANDATORY expenses for school-related activities,etc....

no, regrettably, a family of 6(with me at the helm of the kid brigade(a.k.a. oldest child)) are already stretching our house too far. my mum's got moving pains, but we can't afford anything else right now :sad:. even with my sis in San Luis Obispo for school, and me going locally, 3 boys and my parents stretch the house far enough.

so, even developing my b/w film in the bathtub in stainless tanks takes up too much space. so all my developing/printing/scanning, etc... has to be done AT SCHOOL, during SCHOOL HOURS. sucks big hairy monkey balls I know :surprised:

-Dan

9. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    bruce, looks complete to me. The E6/C41/BW bottles are hidden behind the front and rear panels. The "empty" space you see if for large collection bottles or large chem bottles if doing a 7x24 operation.

10. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey I hear you loud and clear Dan. We do what we have to. I printed in school for a long time until I recently got my enlarger.
    I have a jobo-2300 but only because of a fluke for $300. And it was used only 3 times after the crime scene lab purchased it new for $17,000.
    Our tax $$$ at work.... geezzz...

11. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well, at least your taxes went to something good :smile:

I've recently found out from a friend that his dad purchased a porsche 911 gt2 at a sheriff's auction (drug bust car) for $9,500. I believe that was the starting bid too :smile:.

he tells me the car is sweet, customized with navigation and a kickin stereo system.

oh well, I got my Yashica T4 at the thrift shop for $2.50, so I'm kind of riding on air on that find :smile:.

I've recently(up until resuming school) been using the facilities at a local photo center. They have pretty much everything, including Jobo systems(CPP2 and a bunch of CPA's). I'm one of the few people still shooting film(especially m/f and l/f), but the 2nd in command there knows I like film, and he happily gets me the c-41 chems and some kodak rapid fix. they let everyone else(seriously like 3 or 4 other people) use the bulk chems they get. good stuff, but he lets only me use the really good stuff :smile:. I've been talking to him about getting the E-6 chems, cause I've found a somewhat cheap source of 120 and 4x5 chromes here in LA. slightly expired, but good nonetheless.

ohh... they have Imacons, a full b/w and color darkroom area(individual rooms w/ 4x5 enlargers) and 2 colex 30" ra-4 processors(one is set up for the digi people connected to a Chromira LED digital printer). They only run luster paper through the machine though, I prefer glossy. No matter.

-dan

12. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A 911 for 9K? A T4 for $2.50? Awesome. I love these deals.
    I got my 2300 while googleing and doing research on the small units and this came up on a small city / gov surplus site.
    No one bid for it and I drove from NJ to Detroit to get her. My boy and I made a vacation during it at Put-in-Bay.

I now always check the gov surplus sites.
    T

13. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only problem with that machine is having enough throughput to keep it up to snuff.

I know I am shooting more film now than in the last 3-4 years but it would be hard to justify that thing in my house :smile:

14. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tom,

Your Imacon scanner is an amazing steal too.
    Wish you were closer, with no customs office between you and me...

15. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bruce, what do you mean when you write Throughput? Enough product? Film?

16. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i believe that's what he meant.

Tom, you mentioned that you picked up your 2300 from a crime lab or something of the sort. They went through quite a bit of film when they shot film I would imagine, so yes, more throughput. A small, family-run portrait studio would be the ideal place for this setup too, since repeatability and reliability are needed for consistency. Especially when its business-related, not just a serious hobby.

I would imagine though that the best place for this machine would be in a school(city college or university) where the photo dept would use it every day.

A friend of mine who lives in AZ had his H.S. group class photograph shot on 4x5. He's a photo bug too, so he was able to talk to the photographer after seeing him make adjustments with the sinar f2 he was using to take the shot.

4 sheets of film to get the shot right, and everyone paying $15 for an 11x14 picture(probably printed at costco) x350 students, makes for a nice little business if you ask me :smile:. and a good profit margin :D.

-Dan

17. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That makes sense, completely, but I purchased it because it makes life so wonderful and easy for developing E6 and C41 in one easy shot. It came with the Jobo Water mixing panel as well so I get my temps right on to the 1/10th of F. Degree. It's already paid for it's self, even with purchased chem, over and over again. And I used Target for .99 a roll for my daily stuff.

18. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    and the prices they get for dev. and scanning 4x5 C-41 and E-6 is just nutz. Deserving but not in my budget. And when/if I go larger, I'm set....