John Hedgecoe

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by AgX, Oct 4, 2010.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had heard NOTHING about his passing. And generally people will let me know because they know I'm 'Into Photography'. His Handbook was one of the first photographic books I ever owned.

3. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That makes me so sad.
    I grew up reading his books.
    And shared them with so many friends.
    That was my first photography book also.

Requiescat In Pace

A Very Sad Ron

4. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too learned the essentials from his books- sorry to hear of his passing.

Rick

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm amazed over the sheer amount of books/editions he got published. He is singular on that.

Actually back then I did not read his books. They were somewhat expensive and finally I got all the information from other sources.

I'm not really sure whether I have got any of his books in my private library, but these days I bought a few 2nd hand just for analogue newcomers, as the "analogue" editions will be hard to find in public libraries.
    "The Book of Photography" from 1976 for example has aside of illustrated articles on subjets of photography a rather comprehensive part on apparatus.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I spent two days with John back in the early 80's, in fact I'm in his Advanced Photography book, he did a two page spread on my work :D

There may be reasons why no-one mentioned it. He taught at Birmingham School of Photography with John Langford before going to the RCA, and I know people he taught.

Ian

7. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any relation between Michael Langford and John Langford?

Tom

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes me being extremely tired (lack of sleep) and making a mistake :D I meant Michael Langford, very nice guy.

Ian

9. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When starting in black & white darkroom work I was advised that 'Basic Photography' was too basic for my own needs and missed out on 'Advanced Photography', although I've seen the book in the library.

Tom

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Langford's two academic books are well worth buying, even Basic photography :D

It's not too basic, and it's extremely well written. You'd find it useful.

Ian

11. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    His books -and I have some of those - were lucid, well written. The man loved photography...that should say enough.

12. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was self taught using Vestal - Craft of Photography for my B&W education starting at age 15. Soon thereafter I discovered Hedgecoe in my small town library, and from him learned how to work effectively capturing colour.

I now passively collect older photo books as I come across them atht he right price, and have quite afew of his in my collection.

It is not really a surprise, given how well most of his books sold. The nice part though, is that once you get over that the gear mentioned in the book may be 30 yeas old, the basic concepts being advanced are still very viable today.

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of Hedgcoe's books draw from Langford who he worked with & who's books were the a min academic text books in the UK for over 30 years. The team behind the Hedgecoe books, and it was very much a team effort probably get overlooked these days, but I liased with some of them when sorting out my small collaboration to Advanced Photography.

Ian

14. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    not just in the UK, I keep recommending Langford's and Hedgecoe's books for people who is starting up or trying to get into more advanced themes. Sad to hear about him passing away.

15. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John's are among the first photography books I ever picked up. Sorry to hear of this so late.