John Szarkowski dead

Discussion in 'Photographic Aesthetics and Composition' started by Russ Young, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Russ Young

Russ Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    www.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/arts/09szarkowski.html?pagewanted=1

I did not care for his aesthetics choices but nonetheless he was THE major curator of photography in the last four decades and played a key role in bringing it to the public eye as an art form. He was, in a way, a spokesman for us all.

Russ Young

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So sad.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is one major figure departing us. To think that just earlier today Alec Soth was still bitching about him on his blog...

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, Soth was bitching about Tod Papageorge.

5. rusty71

rusty71 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is sad news. I didn't always agree with his aesthetics. I met him when I was a student at Visual Studies Workshop back in the early 90's. He was surprisingly accessible and kind to the grads who came to hear his lecture.
    He and Beaumont Newhall did more to elevate photography to the level of art than any other historians of the 20th century.

6. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the 1960s MOMA was the center of the contemporary art world. The New Documents exhibit not only cemented photography's acceptance as a fine art form, but influenced a generation of future photographers and photography instructors to emulate the Arbus/Friedlander/Winngrand "school". It also became a template for other institutions and galleries to follow in building collections.

you can agree or disagree with Szarkowski's curatorial abilities and choices, but I think there is little doubt that he was one of the two or three most important people with regards to photography in the last half of the 20th century.

7. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This, along with the passing of other luminaries, makes me wonder, who of the contemporary photographers, educators and critics will be seen as being the most influential of our time.

8. Christopher Nisperos

Christopher Nisperos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (*) and Nancy

9. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Some would argue that B/N excluded photographers that deserved recognition. I'm not knocking what they did or didn't do but just throwing that out.