Johoo! I finally found a 4x5 enlarger.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Amund, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a nice unit. Have fun, Amund.

3. KEK

KEK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm very jealous. I've been looking for a complete unit like yours for awhile,looks great

Kevin

4. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I`m pretty exited! I understood it was a good enlarger when Bob Carnie told me he had "about eight" of them :smile:
    The only downside is that it has a 135mm lens for 4x5, so I`ll need to find a good 150mm eventually.

5. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps not. It depends on the 135mm lens, actually. Some cover 4x5 nicely, others not. Try the one you have, and then decide. I've been using an older 135mm Schneider Componon on 4x5 for years, and like it. The slightly shorter focal length also means less head height for any given print size.

To paraphrase the more common saying, life is a balance, and then you fall off the beam. :wink:

6. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Like Ralph, I too use a older 135mm Schneider Componon. Its a sweet lens and I never felt the need for anything longer for 4x5. Beware of lens snobs, demand to see their prints.

7. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Great! I`ll try and see. It has a 135mm Componon-S

8. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your Componon-S should be even better than my older Componon, excluding variations between individual lenses. Give her a whirl - she may dance your socks off. :wink:

9. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sweet!

Hey- I got one of those just yesterday! Mine has only the single 135 mounted, rather than the turret, but for $50, I won't complain. I have to pick up a new bulb before I can start printing, but I can hardly wait.

Did I mention that the $50 included a Thomas Super Safelight, in perfect working order?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  10. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's one wonderful safelight, but wait until you have to replace the bulb! We found that replacing the whole safelight was easier and almost the same price. Of course, the old one had lasted at at least 7 years in a darkroom where it is on perhaps 50- 60 hours a week.

11. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

$50, wow great price!

Anyone know wich size filters this beast eats?

12. aznative

aznative Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The ProLab is a very nice enlarger and I have printed with several 135's using 4x5 negs with no noticeable differences in coverage. Should do you just fine. As for the Thomas Duplex safelight you won't go wrong even when it comes time to replace the sodium vapor tube. They go for about $70 new but they last a long time. I have 5 of them in daily use all day long in my High School labs and the first one went out after about 7 years.(8 hrs. x 180 day school year average x 7 yrs = 10,080 hrs of use) Turning them on and off several times a day shorthens the life of the tube. You are better off leaving it on all day long and shutting them down after your printing session for the day is over.

13. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The enlarger is on my living room table now, going to move it to the darkroom tomorrow :smile:
    It came with all Componon-S lenses, a 50mm f/2.8, 100mm f/5.6 and the 135mm.
    And a bunch of negative carriers.
    8x11, 35mm, 6x6, 5.5x6.5, 4x5" and 6x7.