Jon Goodman is aptly described by his name!

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by GRHazelton, Sep 17, 2012.

1. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking through this forum Jon Goodman was reccomended as a source for seal kits. I contacted him by email. This is the my post on PentaxForums.com:

Looking in apug.org for advice on resealing my Olympus OM-2n, Jon Goodman was cited as the go-to man for a seals kit with good instructions. He had been selling via ebay, but no more, so I sent him an email at jgood21967@aol.com He replied two days later, apologized for the delay (!) and said that if I sent him my mailing address he'd ship the kit off in the morning, and I could send him a check, money order, or cash for $9.00 plus $1.00 shipping at my convenience! Truly his name is what he is!

What a refreshing business model! And my check truly is in the mail. :D

2. Jim17x

Jim17x Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a good guy but im sure some a$$ will take advantage of his good nature..

3. 2bits

2bits Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon has trusted me also, in deals we have had. I received a nice camera and other goodies from him in similiar transactions, before he received my payment. Yes, a very good fellow to deal with. Would be nice if more people were like him.
    I certainly hope that trust is never betrayed by anyone.
    2bits

4. jimrohrer

jimrohrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the sentiments... Jon is a great person to deal with and I've been using his seal kits for years with success.
    -Jim

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had a couple transactions with Jon. He's Jon Awesomeman in my book.

6. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've sung his praises on PentaxForums.com.

7. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Echo the sentiments above.

8. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto.

9. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The kit arrived today. The instructions seem clear enough, although I want to have the camera in hand and review the mirror instructions before I start. Nice to see that the long strips top and bottom don't need adhesive.

Funny, my ancient Retina I, with uncoated f3.5 Ektar, has no seals and never did. It uses what amounts to a simple labyrinth to exclude light. I wonder why manufacturers began using plastic foam, which deteriorates over time.

10. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheap foam, is cheaper than the extra machining to tight tolerances to keep the light out.

11. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seals also keep out dust.

The Pentax LX does not use the usual type of foam to seal the back. It's more of a closed cell type, and in my 30-year-old LX it's still good as new.

12. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're probably right, alas.

13. BardParker

BardParker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have bought 2 cameras and a seal kit from Jon. He's as honest and trustworthy as they come! I wish more people were like him...

Kent

14. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second that! I've bought a couple of his kits. He'll also work with you to make something to get your camera back in shape, if he does not already have off the shelf kits for it.

15. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've gone through a couple of his seal kits now, excellent stuff, I may need some more though as I've another recently acquired RB back that needs re-foaming.

16. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I sent him an email last week and he replied within 2 days, sent off the kit before I had even mailed the check! What a swell guy. I included a contact print and a little extra cash for being a saint in the photography world. We need more people like him around these days.

Thanks Jon

17. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats good to hear. He dropped out of contact for a while. I bought some kits from him a while ago but later could not find any trace, and no response from emails.

-Glad to hear is still around. Great product. Great guy.

18. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh and in regards to the foam.. the stuff he sources is way better than anything ive been able to find locally. And his kits fit better than anything ive been able to cut myself.

19. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just got the Pentax kit today. Perfect. Definitely a saint to the analog world.

20. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Am going with the recommendations here: I just emailed a request to purchase four foam kits for a couple of the F2s; each ((2xF2 (DE-1s), F2A, F2AS) is looking a little worse for wear. Nothing like being a little pre-emptive...:smile:

21. Zathras

Zathras Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I'll chime in on this thread too. I just bought a camera from Jon and I'm really pleased withe it. I think it is better than he described. It really is nice to have resources like Jon available to us. He's also a real nice guy as well.

22. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i i remember correctly, he was the one who sold me a few hasselblad lenses. he shipped them to me to try and pay fo them if i led them. where else do you get that kind of serviceand trust in man kind? i did buy them all though, because the prices were good too.

23. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have way too many old cameras, and pretty much the first thing I do when I get a new one, is to send off an email to Jon, asking for a foam kit. The last one arrived the day I sent off my $10 to him -- he's that fast!. (he's been selling some gear lately, and he's quite creative with his ad copy as well).

Good guy. I wouldn't go anywhere else for my foam, and have recommended him to several others.