June Weddings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Curt, May 18, 2006.

1. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. DirkDynamo

DirkDynamo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    apparently people like to leave these at all the tables in the reception hall to get 'candid' and 'real' photos. after all, 100 bucks worth of disposables and processing is a lot cheaper than a professional- and hey my twice removed cousin has a dslr- he can do the actual portraits... what are we going to do with all that saved money?

i hope the guests steal them! or better yet, i hope their young neices and nephews leave them with endless pictures of blurry bugs and gum stuck under the table!

3. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They had disposables on the tables at the wedding I was at last weekend, which may explain why the pros (2) didn't really take any pics of the guests.

4. DirkDynamo

DirkDynamo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i wonder if they charged less...

5. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey, at least it's film...

6. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now now. :tongue:

But yeah, it is kind of cheesy in my opinion. I can understand if you are a bit of a pauper getting hitched and you have friends taking pictures but as a mainstream thing, just remember you only have that wedding day once (hopefully)

7. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorta like using the shotgun approach...throw enough lead in the general direction of what you want and you're bound to hit something...

Of course, it makes for a whole lotta wasted ammunition, err film...but hey! it keeps the manufacturer making the stuff...

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the reason many wedding pros aren't interested in taking candids of guests is that so few of these images are actually purchased. Many wedding pros I've talked to will shoot, for example, table shots (the guests at each table) ONLY on the contractual committment that they all will be purchased. Applying thesame philosphy for other candids also makes good business sense... unless that's what the customer really wants and will be buying.

9. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are there any clients who instruct their wedding photogs to take a few obligatory church and reception shots, very few, and then "just shoot..."...."let your creativity run..."?

In other words...have they ever hired the photog based on his/her ability, creativity and product and just said..."do your thing" without any interference, whatsoever?

Imagine Nicole, with her feel for availbale light and children, doing weddings in black and white in TriX outside and Delta or Kodak 3200 inside....

Imagine Blansky........well, ok...I guess I got a little carried away...but you get the idea...

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have absolutely no arguement with your point(s), Joey... there are some creative photographers that can end up with a fantastic product if given carte blanche. There are others that will end up with garbage products no matter how much direction they are given.

Would I hire Nicole or Blansky to photograph my wedding... I honestly don't know. Both are accomplished photogs but without seeing some of their wedding work... I honestly don't know. Wedding photography is quite unique since it is a one-time opportunity and most wedding parties (brides especially) have very high expectations of what their photog is to produce. Would I hire Nicole to photograph my kids... DEFINITELY... I've seen her work and would trust her implicitly Would I hire Blansky to shoot my kids... I honestly don't know... but I'd be concerned that he might not use a camera to shoot them after he meets the little monsters!

The point I was working on is that i don't know of too many wedding photogs that can keep bacon on the table if their only income is from the "day rate" for shooting. They make much of their money on the final product -- the prints sold in a wedding album. So for a pro to expend a lot of time/effort in shooting pics that won't sell... well, that's just bad business.

I also haven't heard of too many wedding parties (brides, especially) that doesn't have an pre-conceived notion of what they want to see in their wedding album. I've also heard of many wedding parties (brides especially) that change their minds... usually in favor of the traditional, formal poses rather than those with their friends mugging for the camera.

Basically you are right... there are all kinds of wedding parties (brides especially) and all kinds of wedding photographers. The most successful wedding photographers seem to be those with personality and the ability to reliably shoot the traditionals and just enough of the candids to make everyone (brides especially) happy. "Just enough" in the previous sentence is intended to mean "those that can be sold to the wedding party (brides especially).

p.s. I agree that the disposables on the table is a cheesy gimmick, but it is de rigeour these days and a great way for the wedding photog to be relieved of the burdon of shooting lots of candids that won't generate income.

p.p.s. At my wedding, 10 years ago, we put disposable coameras on the table. All were recovered. All were processed. We even got a few decent shots from them. Perhaps it is because most of the guests were mature and responsible. But there is one shot of someone's undies that still has me wondering... it's been a decade and I still can't figure out who that was!

11. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My response was more tongue in cheek, but you've always gotta wonder...

Were I to do it again...dunno...but part of me would have wanted to say to a well accomplished photog.."Here's the check, now show me some magic!".....

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like these.

I think they encourage people to think of photographs as helping make the wedding occasion even more special. I also think that they make it much less likely that the bride's mother doesn't complain because noone thought to take a picture of Aunt Edna, who came all the way from Duluth for the wedding!

I used to shoot a lot of weddings, although on a part time basis. I used to make a point of shooting a lot of candids during the reception and otherwise. My charge for 4x5 reprints and 5x7 reprints was fairly reasonable, and I would often end up selling a fair number of prints to wedding guests as well as the bride and groom.

I would encourage people to take their own shots, and it seemed to me that the more people did that, the more I would eventually sell (it might have something to do with a passable level of skill and experience, the use of good equipment, and quality photofinishing).

What I wouldn't like to see is disposable digital cameras on the tables!

Matt

13. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there another kind?

14. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since half of the weddings are disposable it's only fitting that the cameras should be.

Michael

15. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm getting married on June 18th, and guess what will be on the tables. Yup, disposable cameras. Is it because I don't understand the value of professional wedding photography? Of course not. It's because it's fun as hell to see what whacked out s*** the guests shoot when nobody's watching.

I've shot weddings before, and yes, I absolutely shot them my way. Available light, Tri-X pushed as needed, Delta 3200, no flash even in candlelit reception halls. I would rather put my eye out with a fork than do grip-and-grins of people sitting at tables. The last wedding I did, I got a three-hour break because I (finally) had a wedding coordinator who understand that it is of NO value to take pictures of people chewing their food. People absolutely will hire photogs who know their stuff and have a strong and absolutely established style, with the understanding that the photog will shoot things entirely his/her way. It just requires a good client/photog match and great communications skills.

Personally, I've hired a B&W film photog who primarily does children's portraiture and has never shot a wedding; I didn't want any standard wedding photography, so it made sense to hire someone whose style I love, skills I trust, and who won't fall back on typical wedding shots.

Just my two cents' worth.

-- CJ

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheryl:

1) Congratulation on your coming wedding;
    2) Be sure to have fun! My wife and I and our friends and relatives (mostly) did, and it will always be a dear and treasured memory, and it made for great photographs too;
    3) Your two cents, when it comes to photography,are certainly worth more than two cents! (probably in other areas too);
    4) I think that if you have the "good client/photog match and great communications skills" you refer to, and a photographer who is happy moving from style to style, it doesn't matter so much if the clients want something traditional, or something not so unusual. Weddings are a celebration, and even mundane photography of a celebration can communicate joy, and be a wonderful record of a special moment in life;
    5) With that in mind, I am sure that anyone who has been blessed with having your photographs of their wedding, probably has something extra, that trancends the recording of an event;
    6) IMHO grip and grins often bring rise to smiles and chuckles;
    7) I agree, one cannot take photographs of people while they are eating. One can, however, often catch people smiling, laughing, interacting and being themselves between bites!
    8) All the best!

Matt

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, Michael... you made my day!

By the way.... my wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next month. I need to plan something nice. How about if we set up a session so you can shoot the kids while the bide and I go out and get wasted on some cheap wine... are you interested?

18. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good points, Cheryl. Shooting styles are unique and hard to change. In fact, one shouldn't try to change a photographers style but should find a photographer that shoots in the style that they want their event photographed. It sounds like you know what you want and will find the right person to deliver.

I always find it interesting to see wedding photographers "side-by-side" at bridal fairs. The diversity of shooting and presentation styles is quite astounding... as it the diversity and expectations of brides.

19. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish you were around my neck of North Jersey in 1982....

and your two cents, at least from where I'm sitting, figures to be worth a whole lot more than that....

Congrats and best wishes on the upcoming nuptuals! Let us know if YOU wind up wielding any of those disposables....and of course, post some examples...