Jupiter lens

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by dances_w_clouds, Jun 13, 2012.

1. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WTB: Looking for the Jupiter 9 lens (85mm f/2). I could use either the M-42 or the M-39 mount. I have adapters for either 1. Anyone in the PNW would be preference (re: shipping cost). Thanks.

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought an M42 fit one at my Camera Club auction for £ 1-00 !! I have used it recently in a Jazz Club on my Praktica LB loaded with 1998 dated Fuji Neopan 1600 film -- at f2 it was not very sharp and still difficult to focus in the dim light accurately even though the LB has a brighter and larger Micro-prism than my PENTAXes SV or Spotmatic.

5. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do people like theses lenses ? I ran into Russian glass when I got a Helios 44-2 58. I liked the bokeh that it had. Looks of a solid metal with a nice coating on the lenses.

6. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a J-9 for Contax and I love it so far.
    Mine is from the early 60's and although you can plainly see blueish purple coatings it's not biting in the contrast dept.
    It has a nice softness in contrast and is plenty sharp wide open in the center.
    I'm just getting to know it but from the first shots I did with it I knew it would be a keeper.

There is a fair amount of info and example shots to show boke over at RFF.

7. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fall in love on the first date ?

:D :laugh:

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was purposely shooting minimum focus distance to see what the boke was like and rf shooting an 85mm can be touchy.
    Especially a moving subject at f/2 in marginal light, iffy rf patch, limited experience with the camera, etc
    Everything came together for me and needless to say I was pleased.

I think there must be something to the claim that the longer rf base on the Contax helps at longer focal lengths.

Haven't tried the 135 and I think the 85 will be all I need.

I'm sure you'll love yours when you get it set up.
    The sonnars just have that look I always favored.

9. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been doing a fair amount of 135 in the spring with Canon FD glass as well as Vivitar but at times it can be a bit too much.

10. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hard to beat a CARL ZEISS MC S (SONNAR) 135MM 1:3.5
    I would think

11. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would appear that I am still looking for the Jupiter 9 lens. Anyone ??

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one in M42 mount. I like it.

Steve.

13. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like mine a lot (in M42). I use it primarily for informal portraits of friends and family. One thing, though - the M42 version has a manual aperture ring - eg, you turn the manual aperture ring to open it up wide open to compose and focus, then set your preferred minimum aperture on the ring further to the front, then turn the ring again to close the aperture to the aperture you set earlier. This takes some practice to do it smoothly and reasonably quickly. It only is an issue with me when I'm trying to take a shot of children - they move too fast :smile: Mine's not for sale, though :tongue:

I recently scored a Sonnar 135 f/3.5 locally that has an automatic aperture - I have to say it's much faster, but in some cases so far the 135mm is somewhat too long for indoor informal portraits. If I could find a Sonnar 85mm with automatic aperture that didn't cost an arm and a leg, that would probably be the ideal lens for me. But, until then, the Jupiter-9 will suffice.

14. geoferrell

geoferrell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an 85/2 that I use on a Canon RF that does great with b/w film. The images seem softer with less contrast in color, but in b/w it has different quality, probably from the lack of coating. I don't want to give mine up although I haven't it much lately. I use several M42 lenses on my EOS digital that I get good quality with even though at times I have difficulty focusing a manual focus lens. I think one can get good results from these lenses for an artistic image when printed.

15. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I guess it will have to be Eblay. Still have to check a few more locals before I have to resort to sellers from Russia. And yes I will be using it with b&w film for artistic prints.

16. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes..... Still looking. Someone must have one they stored away and forgot about it until this post came up.. ;o)

17. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good news. I HAVE 1 COMING IN THE MAIL from Anscojohn. Thanks everyone for the input and thanks to APUG for letting this happen and of course John. Donation added.