Just Curious

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Flotsam, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Something that I've always wondered...

How many people actually use that switchable outlet on their enlarger timer that turns the Safelightl out when the enlarger is on?

Personally, I've always found them annoying and don't use them.

2. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use mine. I like to compose and focus in the dark. Plus I find if it isn't there i have trouble with leaving the enlarger on and putting paper under the light and ruining it. Still, when I get the full darkroom setup I will have it only hooked up to one safelight near the enlarger with the other safelights on their own switch.

3. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not use mine at all. I would think that turning the safelight on & off & on & off like that would wear it out quicker. I don't know if this is true, but.... :wink: I also find it annoying...like audible timers. :D

4. rjr

rjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Neal,

I´d use it if my enlarger or timer had one of these switches - my analyzer, a Hauck/Kaiser Trialux, reacts to the light the safelight emits and gives highly false readings.

For the moment I use an extension cable with a switch, but as soon I can dig out such a RC control set....

5. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In the beginning there were graded papers and darkrooms
    were light, bright. Like mine! So, a safelight off circut became
    a part of many timers.

Most have no idea how light a darkroom can be because of VC.
    If you used graded papers and lighted your darkroom accordingly
    you'd know what I mean. Dan

6. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    use mine all the time

7. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto :smile: (and it can be annoying).

8. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only use my audible timer when I need to dodge/burn. For example, if my base time is 10 seconds and I want to burn a section about 1/2 stop, I turn on the beeper and count 5 beeps while burning in. Easer than looking.

But left on for the 10 second initial is well....wacky.

9. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I sought out and bought an audible timer because it was the only way I could could time my burn/dodge(s) while watching what I was doing.

10. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to use mine because the analyser will give a very bad reading with the safelight on. Of course you could always set up a switch that will kill the safelight when you power up the analyser if you prefer the light on during exposure time.

I used to print without a meter and used the safelight illumination to gauge the enlarger setting, I would turn down the aperture until the highlight areas started turning red and use a predetermined time for it. That worked almost as good as using a meter. So, in that situation the safelight has to stay on when the enlarger is lit.

11. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Wow. I didn't realize that so many people were using analyzers for B&W. I never found them a particular advantage even for color work. I'd like to hear about the methods and experiences of those doing this.

12. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... then lo, there was set upon the face of the Earth, sodium vapour lamps and LEDs and there was light...

again...

Bob.

P.S, no, I don't use mine as I use a Duka 50 sodium lamp which you can't switch on & off.

13. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Neal,

I use mine all the time.

Konical

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't use anything like that. I don't know if my time even has that! I guess I'll have to look. :smile:

16. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since my "safelight" is just a 25 watt red party bulb that's never fogged a bit of paper (graded or VC), I just leave it on all of the time. I figure it'll last longer that way. I positioned the enlarger so that the shadow from the column falls on the paper so that it's a little darker there for focusing, but I've handled all of my paper under the light and not had a problem yet.

17. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Help!

Do you know where I can get an audible timer? My most used four letter word is "WHAT"? I want to find out what has been annoying Jeanette.

18. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Tonight I plugged my safelight into the timer. I turned on the enlarger to adjust the bands of my easel and, Hey! I can't see anything! I plugged the light back into the wall.

19. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Then turned the enlarger off? With the safelights on and
    the enlarger off you then adjusted the blades? I can see
    occasion for that.

I've an EM-10 enlarging exposure meter; around $25 to $30
    new. It is affected by my safelighting which is a somewhat
    bright yellow-orange. I dropped VC about four years ago
    in favor of a more well lighted working environment. Dan

20. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never use it. I use panchromatic paper a lot to make B&W prints from col negs and then I don't use a safelight at all. Otherwise, I leave it on all the time for normal B&W paper. I used to use it when I had an enlarger light meter, but I found that too hit and miss and went back to test strips.

David.

21. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've started using my Beseler 23CIII to make contact prints which will later get enlarged on the LPL. Being too lazy to replug the 23C onto the LPL timer (it stays plugged into a Graylab analog timer) I lost the use of the safelight switch....and hated it!! I love that total darkness when the enlarger light is on. So, I'm going to get a second safelight for the 23CIII which will switch off when I make contact prints.

I brought my metronome down into the darkroom, covered its' flashing light with a plastic water cup, and use 60 bpm for manipulations I need to time while my hands are busy. It's fun nuancing dodges and burns by setting the 'nome to 56 or 48 or ? bpm when whole seconds aren't cutting it. I regard some manipulations, therefore, as adagio, possibly largo or maybe andante with an occasional lento or moderato thrown in which will doubtless confound anyone reading my printing log someday when I'm long gone.

22. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Or you can time your burns and dodges by counting along with the beats in "Inna Gadda Da Vida" blaring in your darkroom.

23. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have mine hooked to a blender so, in order for me to drink my margaritas, I have to go downstairs and do some work...

24. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D nice!

Your metronome flashes? :surprised: What ever happened to the good ol' tock tock tock tock?

Margaritas would definately interfere with my tried and well proven method.
    "one thousand and one", "one thooowwwsandan' tooo", "thun wousand an' teeeth"

25. kenh

kenh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Use it all the time, because I use an analyzer.

26. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did when I had a timer with a safelight outlet. But the analyzer doesn't have a safelight outlet. So for B&W it's on always which isn't a big issue since I don't use the analyzer for B&W. For colour the safelight is always off.