Just discovered Horseman 970/980/985. Now i NEED one!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by wilfbiffherb, Jan 4, 2013.

1. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just stumbled upon these cameras whilst researching large format. Was toying with the idea of moving up to 4x5 from my 6x6 Bronica kit and then i saw these. Perfect for me i think - up to 6x9 and some movement available in camera. after thinking about 4x5 i dont think ill go for it; my enlarger only does up to 6x9 so id have to get a new one and im just not keen for that at the moment. The Horseman seems like a natural step up from m Bronica and ive been after a folding bellows type camera for a while.

can anyone recommend which model to get and any tip on what to look out for lens-wise/accessories-wise? i would prefer a glass back if these cameras come with them but i dont know much about them. anyone who owns one on here who can offer advice/tips on buying?

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sitting at finishing a coffee with my Horseman vhr in my car, ready to go out shooting. It os a great system. Look for the later all black cameras. They may have less wear and tear, but the differences the models are small. The ER-1 is another story; it is rare and expensive.

3. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    im jealous! i have to own one but they dont seem to be popping up in many places

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They pop up every once in a while, but rarely. As I vaguely recall, there is an issue with using wide lenses on one of the earlier models. But don't take that a fact without verifying.

You might consider a Century Graphic (6x9) as a temporary substitute until you find your horseman.

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you considered using a 6x9cm roll film holder with a 4x5 camera? There are more options with this approach. You can shoot 6x12cm or 4x5 later if you get a 4x5 enlarger.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need all this stuff :smile: :smile:

[​IMG]

7. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ooooh now that's just mean, ic-racer :laugh:

Horseman was not the only company to make 6x9 bellows cameras with (limited) movements. I've seen Linhofs Super Technika IV with lenses go for less than 500$ on eBay. Just know that there are alternatives.

http://www.cameraquest.com/lint369.htm

8. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I ABSOLUTELY DO NEED ALL OF THAT STUFF!! i also need money to obtain it haha. curses. could sell my bronica kit but i do love it...

9. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    dnjl - thats lovely too. i just love these style of camera and the movement is something i want for narrowing down DOF. plus itll be nice to break free from 6x6 and do some 6x7 and 6x9.

10. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ive been looking to get rid of my hassy setup for a vh-r setup. I want the movements.

11. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arca Swiss made a 6x9 too; just seen one for sale in the Sept/Oct 2012 edition of The Photographic Trader (alas no longer printed!). $800 for the camera, 2 bag bellows, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 backs and reflex viewer (lenses were additional), but I think the suggestion to go for a 5x4 and use a 6x9 back, could work out better; "more bang for your buck" so to speak.

12. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i don't really have an interest to go into 4x5 at any point to be honest. i cant process it in my darkroom and i cant really afford the film. ill be sticking with 120 for the foreseeable future.

13. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    KEH seem to always have a couple Horseman 2x3 cameras in stock. I've been tempted to get one myself.

14. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    alas im uk-based and im suspicious as to how much import is

15. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    @WilfBiffHerb - pm sent

16. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a 985 VHR many years ago. I loved it, at the time, but seldom used the rangefinder so I could have done without that feature. Although it was a joy to use and visually beautiful... it was quite heavy. I VERY much prefer my little Chamonix 45N with a 6x12cm roll film back.

17. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  18. bhutchins

bhutchins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In that case, Ffordes have three 970s at the moment, plus a Linhof Tech 70 and what looks like a 6x9 Technika III.