Just for fun I test some $5 antique lenses! Photos Too.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jimgalli, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    This fits roughly into my other "Bokeh" post where I said I would test some of the antique lenses I'm forever purchasing and post the results for anyone interested. I don't know how to import html into Seans site and have it come up so I will have to re-direct you to a page on my little site. It is here.

If you've got 5 minutes and like old things go have a look. Post your thoughts right here.

2. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, nice pictures with those lenses. tim

3. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting Jim....like the fact that the old lens are still making images and still getting a little light passing through them. Will have to wait till I get home to read the rest...looks like fun...and looks a tad HOT!

4. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ah..uhmmm, A '39 Ford Pick up? Oh, please do tell!

The waterbury looks like a little gem! Nice find Jim. Thanks for sharing.

5. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The '39 Ford Pickup is a whole as they say "'nother story." It was mine when my 3 girls were small. I sold it in 1989 when they were 6, 8, and 9 years old. It's the "one that got away" and I've always been sorry I sold it. Well my girls have grown and married in the mean time and also provided me with 3 grandsons so far. Well those grandson's will be 11 12 13 years old soon enough and they'll need a '39 Ford pickup to go driving in now won't they? It's an original unrestored truck and will see plenty of service on desert dirt roads. Plus.......it's photogenic.

6. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Jim,

That Halben is quite an amazing lens! It's performance is surprising.

Your enthusiasm for old lenses is catching. I just got one magic lantern (McIntosh) lens and another one (Darlot) on the way. I hope they'll be delightful as well as they were rather costly additions to the fleet---almost $20!

Hey, those were sure nice photos---I can see why your so taken with historic mines. Congrats on your new old truck!

7. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I'll give you $10 for the lens. Think about it, 100% profit in such a short time!

Nice shots Jim.

The wood in that door has a great look to it. Then again, I am a sucker for wood grain in B&W.

That one interior looks cool to me. Sort of like the engine room of an old shipwreck. Given that look to me, I don't mind the hot-spots and the out of focus areas. That would be common in an engineroom shot.

As a last note--You probably spent more on the film to test the lenses than the lenses themselves!

Matt

ps. There's an old pickup truck rusting away, along with an old tractor and other odd gear, on the road from my neighborhood towards real San Jose. I can't pass that without thinking that Jim would already have a shot or two of it!

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good to see the old glass getting some exercise.

9. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way,

I checked Google Maos for Tonopah. It litterally came up as a bend in the road!

Looks like you are east of Mammoth lakes? That is one of my all-time favorite places in the world.

Matt

10. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    If it wasn't for a little bit of silver that occured here, that road would be straight. Mammoth's going to blow sky high one of these days and the ash will settle on Tonopah.

11. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great stuff Jim...thanks for sharing. I think that little HALBEN WA is quite the treasure.

Any thoughts about making a smaller stop for the Watebury to see if the coverage improves?

12. mark

mark Member

Cool. But I did notice that it looks like the beginnings of a no trespassing sign in your last shot. Shame, shame.:smile:

13. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Driving down 395 is great--you can see the cinder cones from a bunch of old volcanoes. They get bigger the closer you get to Mammoth.

I recall fishing on the upper Owens and looking around to discover that we were in the actual caldera. Very cool... that is unless it blows again in our lifetime!

I doubt I'll get the chance to make a Mammoth trip this summer. If I do, I'll see about a side trip to Tonopah. I'll give you warning so you can leave town (and hide all the camera gear)!

Matt

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    NO TRESSPASSING ?? What does that actually mean? I've been trying to sound out that word. Is it Espanol? Has me baffled.

16. mark

mark Member

:D:D:D When I was wondering around an old ranch with a PB&J in my hand an old timer came up and said "Caint ya see the no trayspassin sign". Maybe it is french for no food allowed.

The camera made it and is not in as bad as my 5x7 was before I started working on it. Should be up and running in no time. Un less I get daring and go for making my own bellows.

17. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Nice shots, Jim!

18. andrewfrith

andrewfrith Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    great story and nice shots jim..were u just using a hat shutter or a packard or something? what were u using to get the red filter and the polarizer attached to these lenses?

-andrew

19. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thank you. I used a large lens cap. Filters were mounted in a 62-67 stepping ring and just rested around the barrels (until the wind blows them off of course.)

20. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tresspassing--it's Chuuk-ese for "Digital Camera".

Matt

21. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I knew there was a story there. Is this the truck that appears in so many of your "lens test" photos?

22. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Not yet, but it's inevitable:D

23. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so it's the actual truck you sold?

24. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gee Jim, it sure would look nice next to the wifes 38 Buick Special Business Coupe..it's just not at the house right now. She has a guy looking at it to do restoration on it...but what a grand old car. Even has a clock and radio in it.

Nice pictures, makes me want to find some of these old lens and give them a chance to show their stuff....will have to keep my eyes open.

25. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Yep, 16 years ago. It hasn't run in 10 or 12 but we can fix that.

Oh a '38 Buick is very nice. Whole different class.

26. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool!

If I had the optotunity to buy my 1st car I'd jump at it! The 2nd was an interum step, the 3rd we just sold recently! I do have a '70 car (I bought in '94) that my boys (6 & 3) think is theirs! They might be lucky and it still be around when they have licences (although we have power-to-weight laws that don't allow them to drive it until they have a full licence... and extra 3 years). A mate's brother had a mid 50's Customline when we were young... we thought it was the ant's pants!