Just got another Free camera..

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I was talking with this guy the other day about cameras and told him that I still shooting film. So today he came by and gave me a Minolta X-370 35mm with 50mm 1.4 lens with body case. It appear to to be in good condition, however I think it needs a new battery. I'm thinking of un-loading it on Flea bay. I love my FE and Minolta is a whole new animal.

ToddB

2. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Too many systems is a curse, move it on and lessen the number of decisions you need to make before making images.

Unless you think he'd ask about it at a later date.

3. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Exactly!! I'll list as soon as possible. Mayby get a few bucks. Perfect hipster camera.

Todd

4. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I may offer some unsolicited advice: the 50/1.4 is where the value lies, they can be adapted to other makes fairly readily...I'd list the lens separately, or at least highlight it over the camera body.

5. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good call.. The 1.4 caught my attention aswell.

Todd

6. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Then I must be cursed . . . :whistling:

Actually, my strategy for having all the different mounts was so that if I find a great deal on a lens, it won't be a problem. Is that weird?

7. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had an X-370 and the battery was a huge issue. It never worked right for more than 1/3 roll after the first few years.

8. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed! I'm not sure how many that might be...

However, Baker's Home for accursed cameras is available 24/7 to help you out.

Free mailing instructions on request. Free pickup within 50 miles. :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :smile: My mom has always called my stuff "Bethe's Home for Wayward Cameras." (nevermind how many she's contributed)

10. ScarletBrown

ScarletBrown Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes i think battery is the biggest problem to all of camera's that's why we should list all our requirements before shoot anything. I always list all of my important requirements before shooting.

11. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yea I've a medium sized laundry basket full of Kievs that all work the non working ones live in closets in cardboard boxes in plastic bags waiting for one to go parts so they can upgrade to basket or even the gbag. They arrive surriptiously in the post with other cameras or lenses... stopped asking after first half dozen.

Just don't ask about other makes.

It is called the sourcers apprentice syndrome... my mother used to give my camera kit away think she was the witch.

12. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wouldn't sell the camera body and lens separately. The lens will sell and you'll be stuck with a body and no lens to use on it. If selling is your primary wish for these items, sell them together but emphasize the lens in the listing. Film camera bodies are more readily available. The lenses move along better for sale because of the ability to adapt to digital.

13. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its probably not a battery problem. do a search for how to replace a "dry" capacitor on the Minolta X series cameras. Even a NOS Minolta x370/500/700 can suffer from this, and it is a relatively easy fix.

14. Red Tractors

Red Tractors Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd sell it while it still works, I have bad luck with Minoltas.

15. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Due to their age, you could have bad luck with any other camera. I am sure there is a Minolta out there for you too . . . :whistling:

[​IMG]

16. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sell it and buy some film.

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you're not going to use it or even keep it, give the camera back to the guy and let him throw it away or doing whatever. I don't feel right selling it.

18. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The last camera someone gave me was an inoperative Konica FS-1 with 3 Hexar lenses, a 28 f3.5, 80~200 f4.5, and 50 f1.4

The camera is battery dependent and was dead. I quickly found the problem, a broken/missing contact in the battery holder. A small strip of brass solved that problem and brought the body back to full function. The foam light sealing looks OK but usually I change it as a matter of course on older Japanese cameras. Just have not got around to e-mailing Jon Goodman yet. Really need to go through all my old cameras and inventory the cameras that need the foam kits. and order them all at once.

19. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that's one of the models that has a capacitor issue in the shutter release. I put mine in the dumpster, it wasn't worth ordering a replacement part.:sad:

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Enjoy your new camera.

21. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The X-370 is a pleasant camera to use and has a nice bright finder. When I had one I found the older MC Rokkor lenses with the depth of field preview tab. The capacitor replacement is an easy repair. I eventually traded my X-370 for an X-700 so I could change the focusing screen but bot are good. All of the 50/1.4 Minolta manual focus lenses are good.

22. AstroZon

AstroZon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd at least run a test roll through it. Earlier this year, I taught a friend's 13 year old son how to use his Minolta X-370n and was generally pleased with the camera. The prints from Fujicolor 200 were sharp and well balanced.

23. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wrote a whole big entry saying nothing that hasn't been said already. Anyway, it's a nice camera. I actually like mine better than my x-700, but the x-570 is my favorite. I didn't know they made a f1.4 - it must be a wonderful lens. Was there ever a bad Minolta brand prime lens? As long is it doesn't end up in a landfill, whatever you decide will be good.

24. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it is, remove the bottom cover and there it is ready to swap. But, if you have to order and pay shipping on one single replacement 3v 100mfd (IIRC) miniature capacitor, it becomes not worth bothering with.

25. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over the past couple of years, I've given 5 or 6 film camera kits (maybe one or two more) and a couple of darkroom kits to undergraduate college students. That helps to keep analogue alive and frees up space for me. Check with your local college/university photography/art department. Actually, check with the instructors if you can identify who they are. Bill Barber