Just heard the news-

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Changeling1, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just heard here in L.A. that there was a big earthquake in N.Z. I hope all fellow APUGers and their loved ones are alright. Being in So Cal I know how upsetting these acts of God can be. Godspeed everyone.

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sound like a rather large one (7.2 to 7.4) in the early morning hours near Christchurch -- a long way from Sean.. So far nothing about anyone hurt but some damage to shops.

Hope everyone is okay!

3. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same, it's only 8am and we just heard here so we'll be checking in with family soon.

4. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope all is okay with our APUG friends there. Well, for everyone there. As a Californian, I know what it's like.

Weird. I was just reading yesterday a report out of New Zealand that scientists discovered a much higher rate of movement on the Australian/Pacific plate zone than had been thought, and wondered what that meant for earthquake danger.

5. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It woke me up here in Wellington - didn't feel like the normal rolling side to side shakes we usually get, seemed to be more of a long vibrating shake. I went back to sleep and thought to check the web news in the morning.

After the spectacular rain, hail and thunderstorm Friday evening, it makes for an "interesting" weekend.

Seems there is quite a bit of damage in Christchurch itself, but few injuries.

Go to http://www.stuff.co.nz for more info.