Just HOW ANALOG Are You?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Shawn Rahman, Sep 21, 2009.

HOW Analog Are You?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2009.
  1. Totally analog; don't own or use a digital camera of any kind.

78 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Mostly analog/film; may on occasion use a digital camera (less than 10% of time)

101 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Mostly hybrid; use film primarily for capture, and scan & print digitally most of the time

46 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Shawn Rahman

Shawn Rahman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just for curiosity, I am interested in seeing "how analog" APUGgers really are. I find myself mostly analog or hybrid at this point, and would go more towards totally analog if I had better access to a darkroom.

Looking forward to seeing the poll results!

2. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm completing my color darkroom with a friend.

3. WGibsonPhotography

WGibsonPhotography Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I shoot black and white, I'm completely analog except for the few digital pics that I decided look better in black and white.

When I shoot color, I used to shoot all digital until I sold my digital camera to pay for an enlarger and assesories. Now my color workflow is hybrid. I shoot film and then scan it. I would do color developing and printing if I shot enough color film to justify buying the chemicals and if I had the patience to get the color balance right

4. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm totally hybrid.

Don't have space to setup a wet darkroom, so my B&W home development is darkbag & daylight tanks. Color film is sent out. All the negs are scanned. I also own good digital rigs and use them but the balance of field shooting is at the moment in favor of film.

5. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm totally analog. Have never owned a digital camera in my life. I do scan my slides, mostly just for my records, but all black and white is printed in the darkroom. That being said, once I can afford a better printer, I'll probably be hybrid so I can make enlarged negatives to do alt. process work.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't have all of the possibilities covered up there.

I know one guy here who will shoot wet plate collodion, scan that in, print a digital negative, and then print that in gum bichromate over platinum/palladium.
    I know another guy who shoots digital 90% of the time, but does do some film now and again.

7. Stefan Findel

Stefan Findel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I shoot digital for taking notes and exploring different angles, focal lengths, times of day, etc. in preparation for landscapes. Once I have something I like, I come back with my LF camera. At times I may not get the final result on LF until years after the initial digital picture.

8. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Jeremy suggests, I don't find my methods on the list! I shoot probably 90% or more of my color stuff with electrocuted bits - partly economics, partly instant gratification, partly that the final destination is generally a d*git@l format. I shoot all my B&W with film. I print very little of any of my shots; mostly put them on the web. When I print B&W, its probably 90% wet darkroom, with an occasional inkjet print as a sort of "proof of concept." For color prints to Aunt Whatsername, it's likely inkjet, for color entries in an exhibition, it's likely sent off to get done on Crystal Archive or whatever. (C-prints are infrequent, as my exhibition entries have been about 85% B&W.)

9. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you shoot only film, owning no digital camera, but you don't do your darkroom work then 99% chance that you're the hybrid type. It's almost impossible to have the lab printing your film in the analog way nowaday.

10. memorris

memorris Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I shoot digital in a few situations. When traveling, I have a couple of digital cameras handy. One with a long lens for wildlife. The other for situations where the LF cameras will not do well, like high winds, rain, etc.

Other than those few situations it is large format film, mostly B&W. I find as time goes on, ther eis less color and less digital. Nothing really satisfies like LF.

11. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just shot a wedding borrowing one digital camera and renting another. My first digital experience. A nightmare. Now I am looking at who knows how many hours editing and correcting the curve on 975 images. That is the last time I will do that.... analog for me.
    Dennis

12. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I shoot all film. I have never owned a digital camera. I hate most of what I see digital wise, unless the photographer is very good.
    I scan all my negs for proofing, and that's it. Then it's off to the darkroom. I send my color work out, have it scanned for proofing,
    then back to the darkroom. The only reason I scan is to see if I REALLY like what I see on the neg.

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm mostly analog. I do own a P&S digital.

Jeff

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have a few non flm cameras but i don't use them very much
    i shoot film and paper and when i can ... i put the image on paper in the dark.
    i proof and think about them in the ether, and sometimes
    make an offering and bow down to the numeric gods.
    oh well ...

16. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

I voted "totally", because I am. But I did borrow my daughter's new Nikon D90 today for something commercial I have to get out. It's the first time I've touched anything like this. I've been afraid to, sort of. But I think I'm strong enough to use it and not fall for it. ;o)

17. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Totally analog. And if someone gave me a digital camera the first thing I'd have to do is tape over the LCD screen, then find a memory card that would only hold thirty-six images.

But I do have a fully digital water faucet installed in my darkroom. Am I soiled?

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Analog insofar as capturing fine art images goes. I do not scan my trannies (I don't have a scanner). I print directly from Velvia 50/100 or Provia 100F to Ilfochrome (sometimes a proof sheet) then to MGCF; that's where all the money goes, not to fancy electronic imaging or storage stuff.

Digital? I do have a Canon PowerShot G9 digi which I use as a "polaroid back" prior to commiting to film, mostly for assessing a scene I am unsure of, and which I may return to after further deliberations. The digi is also useful as a representation for clients wishing to see a sample of my finished (framed) work, chiefly small 800x600 images sent by email.

Black and white images, though rare, are shot on Ilford Delta 100 and printed to FB paper.

This commercially-driven madness/me-too'ism of promoting ever-increasing megapixels and technology gimmicks ahead of an ever-decreasing foundation in photographic skills is seriously tragic. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  19. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hybrid - I shoot both film and digital.
    • To meet clients needs - 95% digital, 5% film - business requirements
    • Personally B&W 100% analog
    • Colour - depends on what I am shooting

For most applications, I prefer film (tranny) but there are occasions when I need to shoot d***** for the sheer speed of it. (But I'll also try to knock off a few rolls of film at the same time if at all possible!)

I scan the trannies if I need to supply them digitally; have them printed as Cibachromes for display.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a 5+ year old digital camera that I use less than 1% of the time, and only to get images on the internet.

I have a film scanner that I use to put images on APUG, as well as a a multi-purpose printer/copier/scanner that I can scan prints with, also for APUG.

When I shoot colour negative film, I get inexpensive prints, which almost invariably the result of scanning and RA4 printing workflow.

Otherwise, I'm pretty analogue :smile:.

Matt

21. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Totally analog as regards my personal work, I have the facility to scan my LF negs (5x4) but choose not to.

Commercial work is a different matter, film use is rare, perhaps a shot here or there for a CD cover, magazine feature. It's not a matter of choice, you can't compete otherwise, and many of the films I used were the first to be dropped and there are no alternatives.

At present I do no hybrid work, I might if I start using alternative processes again.

Ian

22. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a little digi point-and-shoot I sometimes use to take pictures of grandkids. I got tired of developing countless black and white photos of the little dears for their parents. But I still use my film cameras for pictures of them that I want. I also scan all my 35mm contact sheets and file them in Adobe Organizer (in Elements) so I can find them quickly. Other than that, all my pictures are black and white film, 35mm, 4x5 and soon (when my new RB67 arrives) 6x7.

23. drpsilver

drpsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    21 Sept 2009

When I shoot black & white I am completely analog from capture to print. When shooting color I am completely analog except for scanning slides or negs that need to be digitized for a project. I will confess to owning a digital PS which I use for travel pics.

Regards,
    Darwin

24. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I voted totally analogue. Since I got my colour darkroom up and running, the scanner hasn't been turned on.

25. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sold my scanner, the only remaining D*****l at home is a quite old P&S I've been given some years ago. Very useful to make pics of the stuff I sell from time to time, and when I dismantle a camera...

26. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot 100% film, print selected images in a makeshift darkroom, and unfortunately scan the colour stuff. Having issues with that right now, I'm thinking of getting my local pro lab to do some optical prints for me, no idea why I didn't think of this before eh...