Just ordered a Mamiya 645 1000S...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by macheesemo, Apr 7, 2010.

1. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Kiev 60's 80mm lens started making very bad noises for no reason at all (aside from the camera's awesome build), so I'm deciding to get a Mamiya 645 1000s w/ some extra toys to go with the Gossen Luna Pro I am waiting for in the mail instead of putting any money into the kiev...

It's going to be an awesome summer.

Here's a link:

Mamiya 645 1000S

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will like the Mamiya, nice camera.

3. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats!
    Just like you - I was shooting Pentacon 6 + 4 CZJ lenses for a while until last year I found sweet deal on 1000s + 80/1.9 + 45/2.8 (C versions)... you're gonna love it and appreciate it's reliability and mechanics, everything feels right with 1000s.
    For me, the best possible camera that could be ever be built would be M645 1000s capable of taking 6x6 images, but that would need also a new line of lenses.
    Enjoy your camera!

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    M645 1000s is a really great camera! What lens(es) did you get?

5. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's got a 55mm amd a 210mm of unspecified speeds. I guess if they are both agreeable lenses, I will just be after a 80-90mm and maybe a 150mm from the used sector- the 645 lenses seem far more abundantly available (and affordable) than the pentacon 6 lenses for the kiev. I am very excited about this new kit!

6. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congrats. Looks like a nice kit.

7. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alas, I parted with my 1000S after a long romance. Keeping my Hassy but letting go of my 55, 80 and 150 lense kit and body to KEH. It was so clean once I saw it go online they went in just 2 days.

You will love the camera, I certainly did. Have many memories come from it. Just keep an extra battery with you. They can last 3 years, but if you do not use it for a while I'd hit the battery check button before I shoot the first frame, if neede then you will have your spare ready. I had one 1000S go out of synce firing it with a dead battery and had to have it serviced to get it back working, contrary to all known accounts of just put a new battery in it... that does work 99% of the time, just shows I'm special huh! Top 1%.

Also, if it has real age on it, look at the seals on the film door. That too can erode away and cause some issues. Had those replaced when I had the camera servied. (KEH did it)

Enjoy

8. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What do I need a battery for? i'm not sure if the prism is metered or not, but i'll be metering with a gossen anyway... It needs a battery to sync to a flash? i've got a vivitar 283 that would be cool to be able to use with the 645.

9. unclemack

unclemack Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The 645 has electronically-controlled shutter speeds & needs a PX28 or equivalent 6V to work.

10. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congrats on your new camera, enjoy!

11. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ah... Thanks for the info, i'll go ahead and pick a couple of those up!

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider the internet as a source - for some reason the alkaline versions are most commonly used for dog collars:confused:

13. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! I'll probably be able to find a good deal on a suitable battery...

14. videocrew

videocrew Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm in Nashville too! I'll be on the lookout for somebody walking around with a suspiciously awesome camera and say hello.

15. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow... Anybody favor adorama, calumet or freestyle for supplies? i've got a couple of rolls of fuji neopan 400 b&w 120 film and kodak professional ultra color 400 film in the 220 size (the kit includes both size backs). I need to get a comfortable neckstrap, choose some b&w developing chemicals, possibly filters for the lenses and definitely some more film! Maybe a 80-90mm lens and/or a 140mm to go with the 55mm and 210mm I'm getting with the camera. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

16. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I get all my film from Freestyle. Good for chemistry too.

Accessories are probably a wash no matter where, just check prices.

Lenses ... there's always KEH or the auctions. Keep an eye on your local Craigslist too. And the classifieds here :smile: If you're not patient, then KEH might be the place to start.

17. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    cool! do you use chromatics or dury's for processing or printing? i hope to be developing my own b&w film, but I'll still be dependent on them for color stuff, scanning and prints...

18. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also, will the hotshoe on the prism viewfinder be compatible with my Vivitar 283 flash? I don't think my L-bracket I use for flash with 35mm will fit on this beast, but I can't wait to check...

19. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So, the camera has arrived... I need a little help surveying its functionality. It appears to be in great condition, has a left hand trigger grip, 210mm lens and 55mm lens, 2x 120 inserts + 1x 220 insert, ill-fitting lenscaps for both lenses, both waist-level viewfinder and prism/meter viewfinder.

I replaced the battery with a fresh one immediately, as I read that firing the shutter without a battery or with a dead battery can damage the camera... I have all day on thursday to shoot with it, both color 220 film and b&w 120 film. I also have a 150mm lens w/ leaf shutter and an 80mm f/2.8 lens from KEH... I don't know what the meter takes, but I'll hopefully have my Gossen Luna-Pro w/ 7-15 degree spot meter attachment working... I shelled out for the battery adaptors, the meter is just now coming back to life!

Now I've got to figure out how to get the camera up and working... I want to use the leaf shutter lens to do fill flash w/ sync at all leaf shutter speeds... Must figure out how much light I get from Vivitar 283 w/ mini softbox diffuser attachment...

A really cool thing about all this: probably about 11 years ago I got a newton camera flash bracket for $5 in the bargain bin @ jack's camera in my hometown in IN (they are a great store and have a bunch on ebay these days)... I find out later that this cool piece was priced at a small several hundred dollars or so. I think the full deal is about $200+ or so today. Anyway, I've used this on my Canon AE-1 for years with the Vivitar 283 flash. As fate would have it, the bracket fits just great on the Mamiya 1000s as well! It not only gives me ability to change between viewfinders, but gives me both portrait and landscape positions with flash on top of the camera. What a lucky break pertaining to one of my favorite pieces of equipment!

Any input on how to make sure everything is good on the camera while I attempt to put it through its paces? Anything to look out for? Any leaf shutter tips? I've never used one... Camera on B, lens on M, shutter release cable attached to lens and fire?

The camera looks and feels great. There is absolutely no comparison between this and the Kiev. The Mamiya is so nice in every detail and displays a profound level of foresight in the design. Everything feels fantastic and seems to be in great shape.

So, new batteries, new lenses. What advice? I want to make sure it's all working. I can find the manual, but am unsure of how to use leaf lenses & flash... i see the sync X on the bottom of leaf lens for flash sync... as simple as it seems?

Thanks!

20. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congrats on that fine camera!

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For my Mamiya 645 Super and 645 Pro and my leaf shutter lens, I set the camera shutter to 1/8, the lens shutter to whatever speed is appropriate, and the stop down metering switch on the lens (the "A-M" switch) to A.

If you don't want to use the leaf shutter for a particular shot, set the shutter speed indicator on the lens to "F", and the shutter speed indicator on the camera to whatever speed is appropriate.

The regular shutter release on the camera is the one you use - you just have to remember to cock the shutter on the lens each time.

On my cameras, the camera's battery powers the meter in the metering prism. If I recall correctly, I believe it is the same for yours.

You are correct about the X synch on the lens - as long as you are using the leaf shutter, that is where you attach the flash.

I'm assuming you have the manual. If not, here is the link to the pdf on Mamiya's site:

http://www.mamiya.com/assets/pdfs/645/M645_1000S_v4.pdf

Congratulations - enjoy yourself!

22. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just won a couple of ebay auctions, one for another Gossen, a Luna Pro F ($29 shipped!), so I can take flash and/or fill flash readings and just use a 9v battery and the other for a weird old german set of bellows called Seymour's Multiscope, which I will endeavor to frankenstein into a working tilt/shift setup that will work on either the 645 1000s or my Canon AE-1 (obviously I'm going to shoot for the 645 first and I will need some extra body and lens back caps and some scratch paper)...

23. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The seller of the Luna Pro F I bought for $22 + shipping sent me a message saying that we each are given our time to steal something from ebay and that this was my time, congratulations... Kinda funny. But serious great deal on a "backup" meter... i shoulda gotten the "F" in the first place, no battery adaptors or any weirdness like that!

24. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First off, a 1000s is not a beast, a rb67 is a beast. The x sync is exactly what it sounds like. Hook it up using a pc cable to your 283 and shoot away... at any speed. The meter runs off camera battery. Those lens are nice. No other advice as far as leaf shutters. My lens for the 1000s don't have them and I am not sure if I will every really need one. Of course, my rb lens are all leaf shutters.
    Good luck.

tim in san jose

25. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my M645 so much I had to buy a backup. Congrats and happy shooting!