Just picked up a M6 and...

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by dwdmguy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HOLY COW!!!!
    Picked it up just for a trial for the week and I'm already in love with it. I was think about the M3 but I love the meter on this. Simple along with simply focusing ability. The man at the store said, that's it, you'll have the bug....
    I think he's right.....
    I'm am so excited... first roll, Tri-x pushed to 800. Can wait to develop it.

I owe a lot to this forum for helping me understand what fits my needs. (needs? ya, right. Wants is more like it)

Took a 50mm f/2 (non aph) and a zeiss 35 f/2 (can't afford the Leica 35mm just yet) and they seem to work for me.

A while ago I remember a post with a link that lead to the history of Leica Camera's. Does anyone have this please along with any other good resources.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any M series Leica is a real pleasure to use, I have an M3 if I bought another I'd get an M4 or possibly M6. Even the 50's Summicrons are superb.

Type Leica into Wkipedia and you'll find the major websites linked to.

Ian

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  4. Steve Bellayr

Steve Bellayr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You pretty much have all you need. You could in the future add a 90mm tele-elmarit (2nd version) for a little more reach or soft portraits. They don't run very high.

5. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much for peeking. Pinhole, that's what I had in mind also, I've heard great things about them. But I doubt that I'll even be able to afford them for at least another year after this pick up. I've not commited to the camera yet, I just have it for the week, but once I held it in my hands I knew I was a dead man.
    What is that?
    T

6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  7. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just bought my first M6 a few weeks ago after using an M3 for a year. Something about it that just feels better then the M3. Perhaps it is not reaching into my bag periodically to check light levels that makes me happy.

8. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on the M6, there's no turning back now.

9. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hehe, wait till you start NEEDing an MP... ;-)

10. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yup Uncle, I can see I'm done for.

Honestly, it may be the finest camera I've ever held in my hands. (I don't get out much) I can't put it into exact words but it just works so well for me. The Focusing is awesome and I really love the meter system whereas the arrows pave the way. Even a dim arrow can tell me if in case I want to over/under expose a 1/3 stop.

This will actually be my first camera that is a pleasure to take everyday with me. I really like the way I can pop a lens in my pocket with it's size and light weight. I don't even know where to begin counting the ways I love this body.

Now, I would of course use my MF for landscape work but I would really see sometimes where I would enjoy a very long shutter for this. I have all Singh-Ray filters and I'm wondering how I could use them on this??

My fav, the Vari-ND whereas I can dial in ND from 2 to 8 stops would prob. work as I can hold it right in front of the lens but since the lens glass front is so small I don't think a Soft Stop ND would make much of a difference unless you got it just right.... and with a RangeFinder viewer, pretty impossible.

Does anyone use filters on theirs? Since I shoot mostly Tri-x a Red filter might be nice.

I gave (Giving) up a lot for this camera. But if I have something I really enjoy and I'll use EVERY day, it is so worth it. I'm loving MF too with 120.

Like this thread a lot, thanks

11. rossawilson1

rossawilson1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like what happened when I got mine.. I'm afraid your new addiction will be fatal however.. to your wallet anyway.

Congrats!

12. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever you do, DO NOT pick up or handle an MP. You will not be able to put it down or forget it. You have been warned :D

and yeah, I picked one up to see how it felt and got suckered in. my M6 sees less use now lol

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See my signature. Same thing.

Steve

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sirius Glass,

A smart camera store would use that Hasselblad (or Leica) quote on a sign in their window. I'd stop by for sure.

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not think that a sign like that would help their business.

Steve

17. jmdco

jmdco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    When I started using my Leica M6 it just seemed so different in my hands, like a finally cut diamond, precise and well made. One of the great parts of the whole digital thing is that now I can afford Blads and Leicas, I can shoot the best camera's/lens ever made as their prices drop because people are going digi. Can't top that, enjoy your M6!

www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com

19. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks canuhead, now that's in my head and I have to do it

20. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  21. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    gerry, that's just what I'm finding and thanking the digi shooters for the same. Got nothing against the digi shooters it's just not where my photography is headed at the moment

I am SO enjoying this camera. I just wish 135 had only 12 exposures so I could develop right away I won't just shoot and waste away...
    Best,
    Tom

22. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might check out the Leica Historical Society of America, LHSA.org. In addition to the historical aspects of Leica's, which can be fascinating, there is a large group of serious shooters many of whom are using film. There is a great new website in development, so please pardon the old one.

Tom, if you really want 12 exposure rolls you could bulk load your film. It is easy to do and cheaper too.

Richard Wasserman

23. GM Bennett

GM Bennett Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom - why not invest in a bulk roll of Tri-x and then you can wind short rolls to your heart's content? Just a thought. Graham

24. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Leica M is a great camera. The quality of construction is excellent, although I found the body to be unnecessarily large. Regardless, there's beauty in its simplicity, and operating it is effortless.

25. bluewaves007

bluewaves007 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey,
    I need some schooling on Leica camera's. But rather than take up 3 pages on the forum, if someone could write me via e-mail, I'd really appreciate it.

26. marke

marke Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Mike, this is the first time I've heard someone describe an M as being "unnecessarily large". What part of it's design do you think could be changed and still retain what an M is? What kind of camemra do you prefer in compariton to an M?