Just Released: Ultrafine 35mm Ortho Litho Film

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by UltrafineMan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. UltrafineMan

UltrafineMan Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Photo Warehouse USA, Ultrafineonline now has available, High Contrast Ortho Litho Orthochromatic Film in 35mm Format. Offering 35mm x 20 Exposure and 100 Foot Bulk Rolls, on the same stock base as the Ultrafine Ortho Litho Sheet Film. Thinking of adding 120 Format for the 1st of the year, but most likely there will not be enough demand. Here is the link to the Ortho Litho, including the NEW 35mm;

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulhicoorlifi.html

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds great!

Jeff

3. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interesting, and I am all in favor of new films, but I am about to show my ignorance. What can I expect from this film? I currently shoot the following films; TMX, HP5+, AEU400 and Efke 25 (running out though) and a bit of Delta 3200. So how will this film compare? Will it provide something that these others do not?

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Seems interesting! It sounds like it would be fun to experiment with. How long is the approximate processing time in a standard paper developer?

5. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4x5 100 sheets $21.95! Holy crap!

6. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I dont want to discriminate the product but do high contrast ortho film gives a bad photocopy look ? I only want to know.

Umut

7. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Arista Ortho Lith 4x5 sheet film is $21.99 for 100 sheets as well so I suspect the source is the same.

8. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umut,
    In a paper developer this film should yield pictorial results (but may not).

9. Tebbiebear

Tebbiebear Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have seen some very interested stuff that was stand developed in Rodinal as well. I have no experience myself but I think I might be ordering some of this soon. It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

10. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. desertrat

desertrat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've tried diluted paper developer for ortho litho film. Contrast is still excessive, although not the pure halftone that results from the A and B litho developers. Developing times are so short, even with highly diluted paper developers, that uneven development is a problem.

Back in the '70s and '80s there was some interest in getting the maximum resolution from 35mm negatives by using document copying films and special developers to get pictorial contrast. I believe these developers would give better results with ortho litho film than diluted paper developer. I have had fairly good results from D-23 diluted about 1:14 for about 5 minutes, give or take a little. Exposure is about EI 0.5, or 2 seconds at f16 under sunny 16 conditions. I've tried the recommended exposures of EI 2 to 6, and get no shadow detail and excessive contrast.

The tonality of these negatives is different than pan film, and may work for some scenes but not for others. I use ortho litho film now only to see what the lens will do of an old camera I bought. Film resolution is very high, it's nearly grainless, and it's easy to cut a piece of film under a safelight that will fit over the film gate.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013