JUST TOO MANY 4X5 FILM MAGAZINES

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by W6PJJ, Feb 26, 2009.

1. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wonder if some of you folks can advise me where I might be able to unload some of my 4X5 Film Holders. I have dozens and dozens of Riteway & Lisco dual negative film Holders. Some are brand spanking new others have some wear but are light tight. All have safety plates and plate locking tabs. I thought about ebay but I only have purchased there and don't know anything about selling there. And, if I did, I would still not know what to price them at. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. :cool:

2. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending where on planet earth you are, the price will be different somewhat. This is due to supply and demand!

In my country, reasonably good secondhand ones in the local camera stores are around the $25.00 mark not so good ones $20.00.

At camera fairs they go as low as $10.00 for reasonable condition, up to $40.00 for as new condition.

Your call.

Mick.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  3. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll give you a hundred bucks for 20 of them.

tim in san jose

4. walter23

walter23 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think the going rate is more like $10 each if in good condition, with maybe a deal on larger lot sales. You can unload them on largeformatphotography.info/forum (in the buy & sell area) or here in the classifieds. They sell at good prices on ebay too. Just list them in relatively small lots (say lots of 5). Stagger the listings too - don't just list them all at once. If you list a big lot you'll get much less for them, and if you don't stagger your lots by a day or so you'll also lose bidders. If you just want to get rid of them on the other hand, ebay is a sure fire way... as is here. Hell I'd buy a couple.

5. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shhhhhhh....!

tim in san jose

6. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would be interested in 1 or 2, Im in the Uk though.

7. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Someone listed something like 16 individual listings for Grafmatics last night. Not a good selling strategy.

8. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings:

Well Guy's this is a start and Walter23 I appreciate the detailed information re: how to parcel them out on ebay. For logistic purposes, I can be found in Sacramento, CA. Thanks again for your remarks and input.:cool:

9. Barry S

Barry S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, I'm on Highway 80 East and I don't see you. Can you wave a hat or something?

10. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Barry S. Hey I'm trying but I keep loosing my Internet Connection and I better get into the Bathroom and shave off this lather before it becomes part of my face.

11. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Ship thrm to me so I can safetly dispose of them. Selling them just contributes to global warming.

13. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You're a subscriber, so you can post in the APUG classifieds. Search some previous sales here, on the LF forum and using completed auctions on eBay, and you'll see what the price range is.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I've had a good quantity of an item to sell, I've used individual prices with a discount if you bought a greater quantity.
    ie:$10 ea., five to ten $9 ea, ten or more $8 etc.
    Another suggestion is Pay for ten, get eleven.
    Shipping these isn't going to be cheap as the quantities get larger, They're pretty heavy to ship(postage-wise) when you start dealing with ten or more

16. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Not if he ships them to san jose. Heck, just throw them in the river and I'll pick them up in San Pablo Bay.

A fun thread.

Good luck selling them. You should get 10 bucks a piece if they are in as good a shape as you say. The problem with EBay these days is the only one making any money is the USPS.

tim in san jose
    p.s. The $100 for 20 offer still stands.

17. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [Vision of film holders washing up on San Pablo Bay beaches, and large format photographers torn between beachcombing and photographing driftwood...]

If they do float down the river, I think I have a chance of intercepting them :cool:

Graham

18. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might be interested in some of the new ones. I'm fussy about the way things look. :smile:

19. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's a "safety plate?"

I suspect you meant dark slides. Never heard them described that way before, even by those who spoke a Sacramento dialect. :smile:

20. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sal:

I used them in the Military and they were referred to as the "Safety Plate' everyone there knew what they were. However, you can choose to call them whatever makes you happy. And, up here in N. CA where you folks get your water from, we speak proper english, that is without a Southern draw...

21. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So are these things now for sale?

22. 77seriesiii

77seriesiii Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    hell if they're for sale I'll throw my hat into the ring as well...not close enough for river pickin's so I'll have to settle for the long distance route.

23. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

A report from up here in Latte Land:

Last week I purchased some 4x5 negative holders from my local camera store. He had a box of them sitting under his counter. He gave me a quantity discount when I said that I wanted a dozen. They were $2.00 US each. (Yes, that was Two Dollars each.) The total bill with tax was $26.16.

Sorry about the possible effect on the used holder market. Perhaps there is still merit in supporting your local camera store.

24. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Were those new sheet film holders or used ones?

25. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Charles;

They are used, but in excellent condition. They are the Lisco Products Company "REGAL II" 4x5 Film Holders. I think that is one of the two brands mentioned in the original posting. The fellow who had them retired from his business. With the addition of this dozen, I think I now have about 20. Hopefully this will be sufficient for my activities.

I thought that I had indicated that they were used. I do know that I referred to the possible effect on the used equipment market.

26. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey!! If those were new Film Holders tell the owner of the store I would like to purchase 1000 and I will offer Him a dollar each and be glad to pay the shipping costs.