K1000 Mirror Not Flipping

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by ChristopherCoy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My sister in law is in the process of packing up her house to move, and they found her husbands cameras from his college art classes years ago.

This K1000 seems like it works, but is in serious need of a CLA. But the mirror is stuck in the up position. I can push it down with my finger and it stays down, but if you trip the shutter it stays up.

My question is... is this a relatively inexpensive fix?

I've long wanted a K1000 and almost bought on off the bay. Are they pretty easy and cheap to restore to operating status?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339026340.472189.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339026352.449709.jpg

2. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It shouldn't be too bad. I had a spotmatic with the same problem and sent it to Eric Hendrickson. He did excellent work and charged about $65 for the repair, seals and CLA. You can contact Eric at http://pentaxs.com/

-- Jason

3. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The mirror may just be sticking to the foam bumper at the top of the mirror box.
    The foam gets gooey with age. It is quite easy to replace with similar thickness foam from a craft store. Or you can find foam light seal kits on eBay and such that will probably include the mirror bumper. If the foam has deteriorated it is probably safe to assume the foam seals etc in the rest of the camera are in a similar condition and need to be replaced.

4. ChristopherCoy

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I'll contact Eric. $65 doesn't sound bad at all. I'd probably have to do the same with anything I'd buy.

5. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote of confidence for Eric, he did a great job on my ME Super....

Griz

6. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    A K1000 actually had a problem?! I thought these things were indestructible and immortal! Glad it sounds like an easy fix.

7. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can recommend Eric Hendrickson, he has serviced all my Pentax cameras (SV and Spotmatic) and he does a very good job.

Trond

8. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahhh, someone who gets it.

So many people say "A CLA is more than the camera is worth- if this one quits I'll just get another".

And yes, Eric does thorough and conscientious work.

9. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I certainly don't want to dissuade you from having a CLA done, but I have to second mwdake's post about the mirror bumper foam. I've seen a few SLRs act dodgy like that or even erratic until I've replaced that foam. The strips of fuzz from a 35mm film canister work well, cut down to size and attached with a bit of rubber cement.

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 on the mirror bumper foam causing the mirror to stick. I was given a lovely looking Nikkormat Ftn with this as it's only problem; I replaced the foam with felt.

11. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Repair will cost more than the camera is worth. Cheaper to buy a working one.

12. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use Your Camera

Have you checked flea bay prices on K1000 cameras lately? $65 is not bad at all. If this camera has not been used for many years there are likely other little issues that Eric will find and correct. Simply replacing the mirror bumper foam may not be the only TLC the camera needs.

As for the K1000 being immortal, they are pretty darned close. I have a 1980s model K1000 that has been used fairly regular for 30 years with no repairs needed, and still takes excellent images. Any faults in the pictures can easily be laid to the feet of the photographer, not the camera. However, any camera that does not get used for many years will certainly develop problems, even one that is so simple and seemingly indestructible as the infamous K1000.

Save A Camera - USE ONE TODAY!!

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See, this is what I was talking about.:blink:

Have you seen what K1000's sell for, even without a CLA?

It's often a false economy. If the replacement fails, you have to buy yet another one. The used one is an unknown quantity- it might go a long time or it might quit next week. If the camera is going to be sold, it might not be worth getting a CLA. If the camera is going to be used, it makes sense to do it. The CLA pays off over time, as you get the use out of it. And for 65 bucks you know your camera will work when you want it to. Cheap insurance, I'd say.

For $65 or so the camera is cleaned and relubed, all foam replaced, ready to go reliably for many more years. And recently CLA'd cameras do sell for more, generally. A quality CLA by Eric Hendrickson or other reputable repairer is worth every cent.

14. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +1

15. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The difference in price between buying another old beater and making your current old beater as good as new is a couple of Happy Meals. I'd much rather work with a restored camera than eat a Happy Meal.

16. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd rather have explosive diarrhea in public than eat a Happy Meal.

17. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh man, talk about entertainment value.

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, compared to eating McFood it's a win-win situation! :smile:

edit- You could photograph the event with your recently CLA'd camera.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  19. 2bits

2bits Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH is selling well used K1000's for up to $150-$200 right now. And they are no better than most that are available. It's a great camera but the prices are absurd. At least w/ a CLA you'll know what you've got, and functioning properly. I think a $65 CLA would be worth it.
    2bits

20. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW! So I can shoot E. von Hoegh's exploding diarrhea with my recently CLA'd K1000 and still have $85-135 for more Happy Meals.

Actually, I did recently get a $100 CLA on a 1940's Zeiss that I bought for $100 a couple years ago. Completed eBay listings show they're going for $150-200 in unknown condition.

21. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eat the Happy Meal and you will probably get your wish for the diarrhea.

22. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That occurred to me after I made the post. Probably some subconscoius link between McD's and diarrhea.

23. ChristopherCoy

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW! Dont pay attention to a thread for a few days and look what happens! Happy meals and explosive diarreah! LOL! :D

I emailed Eric, and I'll be sending the K1000 off next week.

24. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, from mirror buffers to.....:blink:. Digitographers aren't nearly as much fun.