Kaiser digital thermometer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Tom Kershaw, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I need a thermometer that will go up to colour processing temperatures, does anyone have experience with the Kaiser fototechnik model?

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/produkte/2_1_produktanzeige.asp?nr=4091

Silverprint's website claims the Kaiser unit is accurate to ±0.3ºC at 38ºC, while a few cheap food units claim accuracy to ±1ºC.

As a point of comparison Paterson claims its spirit colour thermometer is accurate to ±0.14ºC, but I presume this is resolution or precision rather than accuracy.

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/patersondarkroom-details2.htm#bottom

Tom

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Kaiser unit sounds a little expensive just for temperatures. What about this digital thermometer for £20 ?
    Note: I see Maplin also list a clinical thermometer with a range of 32ºC to 43.9ºC with an accuracy of ±0.1°C (34 to 42°C) rest of range ± 0.2°C - Currently out of stock, but only £6.49..

edit: I see Boots also stock clinical digital thermometers, but don't give any specs on their website.

3. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thermometers

Dr. Richard Henry in his book "Controls in Black and White . . ." has a section on thermometers he tested, including some very expensive 'laboratory grade' instruments; he found them appalingly (my adjective) inconsistent, considering their expense and claims. I have a Kodak Process thermometer I purchased some years ago which guarantees a certain accuracy, apparently not to be believed. I paid close to $100 about 25 years ago (a princely sum then) and it has worked fine ever since. I really have no idea how 'accurate' it is in comparison to some standard or other, but I trust its consistency. So since all my processing is measured with this thermometer it is at least consistent. Which is what counts, I think'

If doing it again I would save some money and buy a thermometer that is consistent. I think for our purposes, consistency is much more important than absoloute accuracy

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have a Kodak Process thermometer, but I only use it for one thing. I use it to check my $15.00 digital kitchen thermometer. So far, the $15.00 thermometer checks out.

Matt

6. mpirie

mpirie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been using one for over a year now and although it's a perfectly good thermometer, one annoying aspect (to me) is the need to hold the power button down if you want a faster sample read time. If you don't, the display will change every 10 sec's or so instead of every 2 sec's.

RS used to make an almost identical unit which I also used and I preferred it until it died.

If I was to buy another digital thermometer, I'd look for the Ilford LED unit that's darkroom safe and gives instant readings.

Mike