Kaiser woes - blown PSU?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by pdeeh, Feb 20, 2014.

1. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I set up to print the other day only to find my Kaiser 6002 (colour head) had blown a fuse in the PSU. The PSU is the K4451 stabilised version.

Replacement fuses arrived today (the correct T1.25A slow-blow) but it continues to blow the fuse whenever I switch on (yes, with the head connected :smile:)

I've investigated what I can: rewired the mains plug, replaced the bulb, had the lid off the PSU to look for any obvious shorts, but to no avail. I have no electrical test equipment, by the way.

Can't check the wiring within the head properly without dismantling the whole thing, which I'm loath to do lest I bugger up the colour filters. Though as I only use it for b&w VC printing that might not be the end of the world.

I think Fotospeed are the Kaiser Distributor for the UK so I'll drop them a line, but any further suggestions before I consign it to the spare room and give up printing until I can afford to have it looked at?

2. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does the PSU contain a pcb with electronic components? The 6002 is not that young, some of the components might have reached the end of their life.

edit: after reading the description of the K4451 I think the electronics are blown. It might be an easy repair for a skilled person.

3. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hehe yes the QC sticker inside the PSU says March 1989!; I got it for nothing from Freecycle, and unless I can get it repaired inexpensively I suspect it'll have to go to landfill. It seems a terrible shame, it's very solid and easy to use.

4. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The PSU in my Kaiser enlarger broke down several years ago. I was an easy job for an electrician.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What is the bulb voltage? It might be easier to just replace the power supply.

If it's 12v, the power supplies for low voltage downlighting will work.

EDIT: According to the operating instructions, it is 12 volt. A lot of the downlighting transformers ar 60W (or marked 60VA). Look for one rated 100W (or 100VA) as you have a 75 watt bulb.

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  6. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course, yes, a non-kaiser cheapo unstabilised supply is the perfect solution - assuming that the problem is the PSU.

Curious how the utterly obvious solution is so hard to see sometimes!

Thanks all

EDIT: Blimey a quick google suggests I can pick up a 125W downlighting xformer for under a fiver ... new Kaiser unstablised one ~£120

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There isn't much else. Just a bulb. If that's o.k. then it's likely the PSU is at fault.

Steve.

8. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yep. I simply wondered if there was a short where the cable clamp grips the 12V cable as it enters the lamp housing, but as I say, very difficult to get at without dismantling the head altogether.

The only problem I see with using a replacement lighting PSU is the lack of an on/off switch (which is integral with the Kaiser PSU) , but I'm sure I can work something out.

9. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The halogen bulb in the colour head is 100W (you must have looked at the specification of the opal lamp for the black & white head)