Kalart rangefinder has a hole in it's head!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Gatsby1923, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Gatsby1923

Gatsby1923 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just impulse bought a Baby Speed Graphic. Nice little camera but I want to use it like a 6x9 range finder. The range finder at one time had a focus-spot attachment on it, now it doesn't. Should I cover that opening with something and does that explain the almost total lack of contrast between the two images?
    photo.jpg

2. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's for the "Focuspot" accessory.

It's a little penlight that fit in the top and projects two light beams on the subject. Adjust focus until the two beams merge.

Or put a plastic plug in it to keep dust out.

Your lack of contrast may be due to a deteriorated semi-silvered mirror surface.

- Leigh

3. Gatsby1923

Gatsby1923 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kind of what I was afraid of. I know it's an easy fix. I just don't want to have to do it.

4. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Bunch of the Kalart's I've seen without the FocusSpot has a metal tab to block that hole attached via the screwhole while is open on your picture.

But a cheap report cover "gel" from any office supply store, or even the office section at Wal-greens and cut a piece to tape over the lower beamsplitter window. Will improve contrast a tad unless the beam splitter is totally shot.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a round plate with an ear for one screw made. Painted it black. Found a screw with the right thread and I was done.

No problems.