Kallitype bleaching/reducing and toning question

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by tim_bessell, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. tim_bessell

    tim_bessell Member

    Messages:
    187
    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have an image which I exposed through a mask to produce a vignette. It requires a little bleaching on the border to eliminate a straight edge near the sides of the negative. At the same stage of processing I give it a quick dip in bleach to clear and give the highlights some sparkle.

    I kind of like the way the print turned out. Now I'm thinking of toning in gold. So it begs the question, does anyone else bleach their Kallitypes? If so, and if toning, could anyone make recommendations on the steps? Obviously bleach before toning, but should I tone with gold before fixing or after, and what is the difference?

    Of course if I had moved back some when exposing this image in camera, I would not have this problem, but bleaching is a tool used often.

    thanX for the comments.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. R Shaffer

    R Shaffer Member

    Messages:
    167
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz,
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ciao Tim,

    I don't bleach my kallitypes, but I do tone them in either palladium, gold or both. I tried both of the gold toning formulas in Sandy Kings' kallitype article on unblinkingeye. I much prefer the gold toner formula with the thiourea and tartaric acid. I tone right after clearing with citric acid ( plus water rinse ) and before fixing. The gold gives a nice plum colored tone. I found that partial toning in palladium and then finishing it off in gold really increased the apparent contrast without much plumyness in tone.
     
  3. tim_bessell

    tim_bessell Member

    Messages:
    187
    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm using sodium acetate developer, which I synthesized myself using 5% distilled vinegar and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). I estimate this gives me 82 g of sodium acetate in one liter of solution, to which I add 3 g of tartaric acid. The print color is a warm black/maroon. If I tone with a gold/thiocyanate toner I have from B&S I get an increase in dmax and cool to neutral blacks.