Kansas APUG Members

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Alex Hawley, May 22, 2006.

1. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The thread about Southwest Kansas sparked quite a few replies fellow Kansans, more than I thought there would be. So, if you are in Kansas, or a Kansas expatriate (meaning you spent a good part of your life here), let's here from you and see how many of us there are.

For the past 16 years, I've lived in the Burlington-New Strawn metro area, about 60 miles south of Topeka. Grew up along Highway 50 between Hutchinson and Dodge City. I was away for 10 years but never could see the sky and a clear horizon living on the East Coast. Way too many trees. :D

2. jandc

jandc Member

We're here and have quite a few Kansas customers also. So there are people out there, hopefully thay are also APUG members.

3. jsouther

jsouther Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I'm not originally from Kansas, but live here outside of Topeka. I was really surprised to see in your gallery images of that Wabunsee County fort. I've shot there before, its very interesting. Also I've been on Deep Creek road searching for places to shoot.... ever see the camels?

Yep, I'm also an devout JandC customer too! I remember when John came out to meet me for an Ebay sale of Efke 50 in 35mm in Olathe once... Now thats service! Thanks John for all you do.

One thing that surprises me with your images in Wabunsee county is that we never ran into each other! If I'd seen somebody with a view camera around here I'd think I was halucinating. I enjoy seeing your work.

It would be nice to see more Kansas APUG members.

4. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    John, glad you jumped in here and doubly glad you are doing such a fine job of keeping everyone supplied with the great materials you sell. J&C film is the only brand I've ever shot in 8x10.

Thanks for the nice compliment Joe. Maybe we need to organize a shoot in the area some weekend. There's several places between Topeka and Manhattan on my short list. Some in Topeka too.

5. Travis Walker

Travis Walker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another Kansan!

I've lived in Kansas nearly all my life, but that isn't a major accomplishment since I'm just a college student. I grew up in Coffeyville in the southeast part of Kansas, and now I'm currently attending McPherson College in McPherson. I've only recently taken up photography as a hobby this last school year, with my primary interest in black and white photography. I have a Pentax K1000 that I purchased on e-bay that's what I use for my art photography. It's a neat little camera and I enjoy working with it.

I often get the feeling that I'm one of the few young Kansans really proud of the state. I run into people at school (often out-of-staters) who don't appreciate the scenery and "ruralness" of my home state. However, the subtle beauty of the prairie and plains can be shown with well-done photography, as I've seen from many talented photographers. It just takes time to recognize how pretty Kansas can be. =)

6. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's excellent Travis. Good luck to you!

7. jsouther

jsouther Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes Alex, organizing a shoot would be great. I could really use some lessons on shooting with large format. I have a 4x5, but never use it like I ought to.

8. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I spent a few days in Lawrence once. Does that count, Alex? :wink:

9. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I suppose it should Ralph. I knew there was something about you that I liked. :D

10. b1bmsgt

b1bmsgt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Spent 7 years in Wichita in the USAF. (1987-94) Loved it!!!

Wish I was there now... :sad:

Russ

11. Nancy

Nancy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I live in a small town just off K96 between Hutchinson and Wichita. I've been in Kansas longer than any other place now, just over 30 years. My husband is a native Kansan, and having children and grandchildren here I expect I'll stick around for a while longer. Travis, I wish I'd taken an interest in photography when I was your age.
    I don't know anyone personally that shoots large format, but I remember one day seeing someone with a large format camera making a portrait at our local zoo. It was several years ago, long before I knew anything at all about cameras. I was fascinated watching, and now I'm wondering if that was you Don.

12. RB67

RB67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello I am Terry and I live in Topeka. I have been shooting medium format for the last year and a half and lovin' it after shooting 35mm since 1972. I have spent the last three years on trips to the SW shooting Sandhill Cranes in New Mexico or shooting arches in Arches. I just joined the APUG today. Good to know that analog is alive and well in Kansas!

13. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello Terry and welcome to APUG.

I'm really surprised by the response to this thread. There's a fair number of us here, more than I imagined. I think about four of us are in the Topeka vicinity. Maybe we should get together for a Flint Hills area shoot some weekend.

Thanks to everyone.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jsouther

jsouther Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Terry,

Hope you enjoy APUG. I'm really glad its here.

Great to see another RB67 user. I love mine. I'll be taking mine there in a few days to shoot at the rose garden in Gage park.

I think Alex is right... I see a local APUG member shoot on the horizon!

16. pandino

pandino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in the City of Kansas, not the State. Does that count? Just a few short miles from the border...

Attached Files:

17. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Close enough IMO, especially to join in a shoot.

18. RB67

RB67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kansans,
    A trip to the Flint Hills is at the top of my to-do list. June is a good time to shoot wildflowers there. I have not been in several years, and I really want to get back there.

19. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Husband's family is from Lindsborg, Ks. Very Swedish, does that count?

20. RB67

RB67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, Lindsborg is the place that puts on the Handel's Messiah. Saw it once there in the '80s. Very nice community.

21. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I live in Lawrence, and would be interested in getting together for photo expeditions. You can see some of the photos from my wanderings around Kansas at my business site http://www.mattneedham.com (beware, digital mixed with analog for sensitive viewers :wink: ), and at my photoblog http://widelux.blogspot.com (all 35mm BW widelux).

22. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    My husband grew up in Salina. Does that count for honorary KS status? :wink:

23. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I can get honorary status through my husband's family in Lindsborg, then so can you.

24. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Glad you jumped in here Matt! :smile:

You ladies must have me confused with the Governor or something. :rolleyes: But, hey, Lindsborg and Salina are pretty close to each other. So, if we organize a shoot, drop the husbands at the in-laws (or a convenient DewDrop Inn) and meet up with us! :D :tongue:

25. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    LOL! Sorry Alex, I couldn't resist. :D I'd love to come out sometime, but for me, the temps need to be a lot cooler than they are now.

BTW, the mother-in-law lives across the street from us now. My husband had to move her closer since she couldn't be alone so far away.

26. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love the area around Salina: Rock City, Kanopolis Lake, Mushroom Rock State Park, Wilson Lake, the Garden of Eden, etc...

Sunset on the Konza Prairie outside of Manhattan is nice.