KARSH PHOTOGRAPHS AT KALAMAZOO INSTITUTE OF ARTS

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Dan Henderson, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just learned that 100 Yousef Karsh photographs from the Art Institute of Chicago's collection will be on exhibit at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts in Kalamazoo, Michigan from July 9 through September 3, 2011.

Here is a description of the exhibit from the KIA web site: (http://www.kiarts.org/index.php)

Throughout his long career, Karsh put aside a selection of his own favorite prints of his favorite subjects that are now in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. This exhibition contains 100 prints drawn from that collection, accompanied by a catalogue with essay by David Travis, exhibition curator and former Chair and Curator of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. This exhibition tour is organized by Curatorial Assistance, Pasadena, California.

This sounds like a great opportunity for those of us in the midwest US to see some wonderful portraits, and I wanted to make other Apuggers aware of this exhibit.

2. Gim

Gim Subscriber

Thanks for the reminder Dan. I had heard of this exhibit coming to Kalamazoo some time ago and forgot it. Would hate to miss it because of poor memory.

Jim

3. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bummer! Was there in May and won't be back to Kalamazoo till November. Karsh's work is outstanding with his use of lighting to make dramatic images (theatre training, if I remember right).