KEH Bargin Mamiya RB67 Bodies?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Brad Bireley, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Brad Bireley

Brad Bireley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone have an opinion on KEH Bargin Mamiya rb67 bodies?

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bargain: Well used. Speaking from my Nikon F5 experience, it was well used, some metal showing, but worked perfectly.

3. optique

optique Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got my rb67 body and all else from KEH as Bargain. As Marko said, "well used" but functions perfectly. KEH has a good return policy and reputation so you should be protected.

I don't know how you plan to acquire the backs, but they had been troublesome for me so I bought my last two as EX quality and they were better. Someone else may chime in on this.

I have bought many things from KEH and have been happy, except for Bargain grade backs.

Hope this helps.
    Steve.

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me just add that the price difference between BGN and EX is not that much, if we're talking about rbs. Also note the inexpensive kit prices... good thing about a kit is that you can try everything out instantly.

5. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I always buy bargain grade and have been happy. Generally, I just assume that the backs are going to need their seals replaced so I've learned how to do it myself. It's very easy. Now that I can do it, I buy UGLY grade backs for dirt cheap.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought bargain grade from KEH when I got my RB67, I was pleased with it.

Jeff

7. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My BGN grade RB Pro S body works perfectly fine and doesn't look too bad, either.

8. uwphotoer

uwphotoer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last bargain grade I got from KEH was in really great condition..... I was very pleased.

9. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I purchased my M645Pro as part bargain grade, while other components of it were very-good. While the back I purchased from their eBay store started out alright, it soon developed some problems. Also the Sunpak 622 flash was DOA.

A new back, is in order, as well as a brand new 622 from B&H. Otherwise, I've been very pleased with everything I've purchased from them, starting a decade ago.

10. lcooper

lcooper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I purchased two RB67's from KEH. Dropped the first one on concrete. Both were rated bargain, and both looked and worked great. I think they cost around $140 each for the body. The guy on the phone was helpful and shipping was fast. I have used them since to purchase 6 lenses for the Mamiya and my 4x5.

11. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello. Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I'm curious. I'm about to buy a RB67 Pro S body (without WLS) rated BGN from KEH. I'm a little worried on the bellows and mechanical stuff. Body marks, I don't really mind. Anyone would share/advice? Thanks.

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I mention before, My Pro S body was rated at BGN and it was quite good. If you have any problems with the bellows or the mechanical stuff you can return it.

Jeff

13. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but probably I just need some assurance from experienced buyers like you. What about the bellows? Tear/pinhole free?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do I need to pay for the shipping?

16. eSPhotos

eSPhotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Based on my experience (only 2 buys but 4 cameras), I think buying a BGN grade is a luck of the draw. My BGN grade M645 AE Prism had an issue with contacts which my local repairer fixed. Second problem was my Contax RTS camera. The light meter was jumping in 2 stops. KEH however refunded fully including return postage from Australia - who can beat that service.
    Yes I will buy BGN graded gear from them again.

17. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great. But if I'm not mistaken, the return policy is valid 14 days from invoice given. I'm from Malaysia. I doubt the shipping to Malaysia even take maximum of 2 weeks. So that would probably mean I wouldn't be able to return just in case something bad happens.

18. eSPhotos

eSPhotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I can recall correctly, their policy for overseas purchase is 'no-return'. However this policy does not apply if the item is faulty and not disclosed in the description.
    They will listen to you if you have any concerns - the reason why people speak so highly of KEH.

19. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So should I? lol. I'm actually waiting for their email reply. One of their staff replied me this morning. I'm still feeling doubtful. I'm afraid the bellows are torn :D

20. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH guarantees pieces are functional even for BGN grade. The only grade that KEH does not guarantee anything is AS-IS.

The only purchase that didn't work out so well for me was BGN grade back for M645. It developed issues and found out too late to do anything about it. At $29, loss was minimal so I just gave it way on APUG as parts only. I usually buy EX or higher and EX+ or higher for lenses. I'm kind of picky about things.

21. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're right. I emailed them asking whether RB67 Pro S Body at least EX is available or not, but came back negative. They have one but it comes with WLF. I already have WLF so wouldn't spend extra on it since Shipping charges are quite expensive already.

22. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The one worry with the old bodies and backs is the foam has probably deteriorated though for $12+$4 shipping you can get new pre-cut seals for body and two backs from Japan and change them yourself in a matter of hours (scrape out old gooey foam, clean with alcohol, apply new seals). Otherwise these things are built like tanks. The shutters can go in old lenses but otherwise the body really doesn't do very much, the really complicated stuff is in the back and lens. You can get lenses for dirt cheap, RB67 equipment is down to doorstop and paperweight prices really.

23. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about the bellows at BGN grade? Do you guys think okay? I'm a little paranoid. lol.

24. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It probably has a hole about a size of football.... :laugh::laugh::blink::blink::tongue::tongue:

25. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha. So funny. That helped a lot.

26. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have purchased two bargain grade RB67 bodies from KEH. Neither had any mechanical problems or bellows problems. I understand your concern since returning a camera is not a good option for you. Unfortunately, pin holes in the bellows are a defect that they might not catch, since they do not shoot and develop film with each body they sell. If you ask, however, they may be willing to do an extra detailed check before shipping to you. At least it is worth asking.