keh.com Nikon F5: BGN or EX?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am about to buy a nikon f5 from keh. Bgn is 275 while ex is 375. Is bgn bad? If I would buy bgn I could get a 28 and 50mm lens. What do you think?

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually Bgn from KEH is not that bad. But there is $100 diffrence between the two which is not much. All depends on how much money you have to spend. I would go for the Bgn.

Jeff

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have enough for a 50 and a ex f5. I would rather have a 28mm. I have money for ex but I also don't have a lot of film.

4. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've only purchased Ex items from them and they always seem to be in brilliant shape with a single blemish (like the metering prisim for my 645 Pro which just has a single scratch on the top of it). Seeing as you live a whole lot closer to them, why not try the Bgn body, and if it's not for you make use of their exchange policy? Though from what I've read, everything from KEH rated above Ugly is worthy of owning.

5. bnstein

bnstein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My experience with the most excellent keh is that Ex never disappoints

Bgn on the other hand can be more variable: anything from so how did this become bgn to yep this has been used pretty well.

If the $100 makes a big difference to your ability to do a project or whatever then try go bgn. If you want nearly zero risk of disappointment go Ex.

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BGN stuff is usually okay but ievitably has some flaw. Sometimes the flaw is annoying, and sometimes it's no big deal. Occasionally it's fatal (like the F4S I bought that killed a set of batteries in two days unless they were completely removed from the camera :smile: ).

On the other hand I've had exceptional luck with EX-rated stuff, like my own F5 (I bought a "non-US" one since I don't care if Nikon USA will repair it; I don't live in the US) and my Bronica SQ-A.

I'd recommend the EX-rated body. However, if you don't have any Nikkors you might be better to spend your $400 on some good lenses and a basic body (there are lots of good AF Nikon bodies for well under $100 that will make nice second bodies for you later when you finally get your F5). While I think that bodies are important, for the most part glass is more important.

7. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If only KEH allowed the salesman to have the 2 cameras in his hand and discuss the two with you.

I would take the EX. The BGN may be ok, or may be trashed. You don't know and the salesman can't tell you. For only a $100, take the EX.

8. NavyMoose

NavyMoose Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought two BGN quality lenses from KEH and they look like they just came out of the box.

9. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ive bought some lovely lenses for my GS-1 from Keh on BGN. No complaints. If you can afford it though, go for EX and reduce your risk as much as possible.

Which, compared to eBay is next to nothing. But still.

10. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you can afford the EX do it, that is almost new

11. Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for things with finicky and delicate electronic parts, take no chances and go with the highest quality that is in your budget. however, BGN quality is (in my experience) absolutely fantastic for something hefty, mechanical, and metal.

12. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I would go with the excellent...not that much more money and it would always bother me when I looked at the damage the bargain camera had..

13. Joe Grodis

Joe Grodis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a BGN F5 from KEH last month and it was in surprisingly good condition. The only "flaw" it had was a 1/4" scuff on the prism and a missing eye cup. But the body itself was nearly spotless. No regrets at all and I may buy another.

-Joe

14. j4425

j4425 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Go for the BGN.. I've made a couple purchase from keh (all bgn) and was always surprised with the condition of the items. Plus, the F5 is built like a tank. Even a beater will last a lifetime !!!

15. yurihuta

yurihuta Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I buy mostly BGN condition and have been pleasantly surprised each time. The few times I have purchased EX, it is always in what I would consider 'almost new'. I feel confident with the BGN rated gear from KEH.

16. TerencePatrick

TerencePatrick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've returned a few BGN items from KEH because they were pretty beat up, more so than I would want to rely on especially if there's plenty of higher grade gear available at not too much more of an investment. I find EX to be my threshold of satisfaction from KEH.

17. katphood

katphood Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've always bought Bargain grade from KEH. The only item I've ever returned was a Nikkor E lens that was mislabled as an AIS lens. Aside from that, KEH usually flags problems with equipment on their web.

One thing to note, if you buy it from KEH and something is wrong, they will gladly take it back.