KEH "ugly" Nikon lens -- a brief report!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by teleugeot, Apr 26, 2012.

1. teleugeot

teleugeot Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I just bought three lenses (my new Nikon addiction...) from KEH,

200 F4 AI -> EX
    135 F3.5 Non-AI -> BGN
    105 F2.5 AI'd -> UGLY

The AI job on the 105 is the only thing that looks kinda shoddy--a couple of lumpy solder-jobs. The machining is fine.

The optics are perfect, focus and aperture feel GREAT!! I paid $50 for it.

Unless you absolutely cannot risk the money, UGLY is a perfectly viable way to get some nice kit, it seems.

That is all!

I

2. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, I've gotten some pretty amazing looking/functioning cameras that were rated "ugly". I couldn't find anything wrong with them, no marks that I could find. Have also gotten some that were pretty well used and looked it, but they still functioned 100%. Luck of the draw on "ugly".

3. phirehouse

phirehouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On two separate orders I purchased a plain viewfinder without the meter for a Mamiya pro, and a Mamiya super, rated "ugly". Both times I received the meter type finder. Both units had working meters. I could not believe my good fortune. I only paid $19.00 for one of them and do not remember exactly what I paid for the second, but it was around $30.00 I really miss the "as is" section of the site as I have received some incredible deals there also.

4. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A word of caution regarding "really nice" ugly stuff...

If you order an item at a particular quality (UG or BGN for example) and they do not have it in stock at that quality,
    but do have it available in a higher quality, they will ship the better item at your original order price.

You should not expect anything better than their published description, even though you might well receive something better.

- Leigh

5. phirehouse

phirehouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always expected that is what might be happening. While I did not expect this, it happened so many times that I would be dissapointed if it didn't.

6. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, no, no!!! Ugly stuff from KEH is awful. I should know! I bought at least 4-5 ugly lenses from them over the years and have another one coming next week. Take it from me. You don't want them. No.

7. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Minolta SRT-101, and Canon T-50 That I Got For $1.99 Are Very Attractive !

I Also Bought An Ugly 65mm F8 Super Angulon For $99.00, Seems To Be Flawless.
    Except For An Extremely Minor Ding On The Filter Threads.

Ron

8. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Makes me hopeful. I have an UG Leica Summarit on it's way. Also bought an "ugly" Rolleiflex. Leatherette is a bit beat, but the glass was perfect, needed work on the advance assembly (as said in their description). CLA later and it was good as new for a third of the price.

9. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the world of the KEH "Ugly" lens :smile:

So far all mine have been very nice, one or two just needed a clean:- except for a nikon 300mm F4.5 Non AI lots of extrenal wear ....but glass is
    spotless :D.....it is a lot of lens for $33.00 you can't buy a 50mm f2 lens that's usable for that price.

Johnkpap

10. arthurpolaroid

arthurpolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    The folks at KEH are wonderful. They have fantastic customer service, and are very conservative in their ratings. And, don't forget that new 6 month warranty.

11. MacReady

MacReady Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You lucky folks, I just had a browse through. I wish we had something similar in the UK!

12. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a couple of nice cameras from their as-is bin. It's a shame that is no longer offered. UG might be the new as-is.

I agree KEH is a wonderful (though only temporary) antidote for GAS...

13. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes...I just wish they could process my order... Keep getting server error!

14. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just call in and talk to a human.

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is what I do. More than once they told me that what I want to use it for would not work, however they had an X which could do the job.

16. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I tried that and they refused to give me an in hand description and told me (essentially) that the lens would be trashed and ruin my photos. After reading this I really regret taking his advice. :blink:

17. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep they do that. But with a 2 week return I figure it's worth the roll of the dice if you've got the time to spare.

18. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With regards to other Overseas Buyers:-

Like me it is sill worth it buying from KEH, they charge a fixed shipping rate in my case $65.00 this is for a big box :smile: so you don't buy just one lens or filter !!!

You save up yor $$$ buy the thing you want in EX condition (It will be almost like new) you then buy BGN and UG plus any other small thing might like till the shipping
    goes above $65.00 then your box is full at the standard rate.

That then maks the shipping a bargin as well.

The only problem is EVERYONE IS BUYING the UG lenses..........Stop you don't need them:laugh:

AS-IS was still the best, I fixed 3 F3 cameras with a $29.00 AS-IS one........still has some parts left on it :smile:

Johnkpap