Ken Ruth of Bald Mountain and S.K. Grimes for custom work

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by johnastovall, Jul 22, 2009.

1. johnastovall

johnastovall Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I talkin with both Ken Ruth and S.R. Grimes about converting my Contarex 21m Biogon to a Leica M-mount and a 250/4 pre-set Sonnar to EOS mount.

Any one had any work done by these shops? DAG was in consideration for the Biogon conversion but just can not take any new projects now.

Cheers and jeers about them welcome as well as other suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had Ken Ruth work on my Rollei a number of years ago. Back then, he had a very long wait-list. (That was OK. I knew about it in advance.) The work was fine, and he was pleasant to deal with. I'd definitely check on the wait-list, though.

Back when the wonderful Mr. Grimes was alive, I had him do a number of jobs. His works was first-rate, and he did the work quickly. I haven't heard much about how the shop is these days.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    both ken ruth and adam at sk grimes do great work!
    i don't think you will have any trouble with either of them ...

good luck!
    john

4. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both of them have done excellent work for me, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Richard Wasserman

5. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a fairly extensive compound shutter and lens remount done recently by Grimes, requiring some custom work. They did an excellent job.

6. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ken Ruth did a lovely job rebuilding my Ermanox.

7. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

I would concur with the positive states regarding the current owners of SK Grimes. They do indeed do first rate modifications and installations. However, please be aware that, IMO, they are expensive for the work that they perform. If you can get another estimate then I recommend doing so in order to compare prices. Realize that Mr. Ritter also does LF modification and repair work, and a number of other individuals can do shutter repairs. Best of luck to you.

Ed

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    SK Grimes is expensive in terms of the functionality of what they build, but the quality of design and finishing that they do is also a cut above many other custom fabricators. There are a number of shops that can make custom lens flanges, for instance, but the SKG flange will probably be lighter in weight and more elegant.

9. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I haven't had anything done by the SK Grimes folks, but I have had Ken Ruth rebuild an Ikonta and a couple of Kodak Panorams and his work was outstanding.

EuGene