Kenro Izu - "Sacred Places" show

Discussion in 'New England' started by Bill Hahn, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lucky Dog !!!! Wish I could go. His work is incredible.

3. lonnie landrey

lonnie landrey Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello,
    I'm a new apug member in the Boston area. Just want to let you know I'm here.
    Lonnie

4. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Saw the Kenro Izu exhibit...

...and all I can say is WOW. Don't miss it!

About 60 pictures (some are multi-plate), most are single plate 14x20" platinum/palladium (hope I have that right) prints on watercolor paper.
    Pictures from Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Easter Island, India, Ankor Wat and other places.

What impressed me most was his compositional mastery. There is one photograph of dusk at the pyramids that has the setting sun notched just to the right of the middle pyramid - I was in awe. His Easter Island images really got to me as well.

In addition, the museum had playing a video "Kenro Izu: Sacred Places" where the photographer discusses his career, techniques (including printing process) and insights. This video is produced by the Peabody Essex Museum...I'm going to see if I can buy a copy (the Fitchburg Art Museum doesn't have any for sale).

This isn't the only photographic exhibit currently at the Fitchburg Art Museum - there is also an Andy Warhol exhibit upstairs as well.

5. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw this exhibit today, and WOW is right.

I had both kids with me, so I went through the show way too quickly. I'm going to have to go back and take a little more time. The work is really exceptional. Thanks, Bill, for letting us know about it!