kentmere 100/400 in xtol? were do I start

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rx7speed, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rx7speed

rx7speed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    trying to find some film to use in bulk so put in an order at freestyle for couple different single rolls. one of them happened to be kentmere 400 and 100 and my problem now is I can't seem to find any rough starting times for developing this stuff in xtol.

massive dev chart is empty and I'm not having much lucky looking around anywere else. any ideas of some rough starting times?

2. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If there's nothing out there, or if nobody else has any development times, then try the times listed for D76. More often than not, they're quite close, but you'll need to test and fine tune.

3. Jadedoto

Jadedoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know how much help it is, but I ordered a bulk of Kentmere 400, and in this crappy Sprint Developer we use at school, it seemed to develop a little dense with published times for HP5+. I'm getting some Ilfosol 3 to try it...

Actually, there were published times on the box of film, but I threw it away. The Massive DEvelopment Chart has times listed (though no for xtol).

4. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Anon wrote, development times for XTOL and D-76 are remarkably close for most films. If you have no other data, this would make for a very good starting point. Any adjustments will likely be quite small.

5. rx7speed

rx7speed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ended up just doing 1:7 dilution and let it sit for about an hour to hour 1/2 or so with around 30 seconds initial agitation and then once at around half hour I shook it around for a couple more seconds. came out dense and haven't tried printing them yet to see how it would look as I figured might as well put this roll up for experimentation. though I do have this strange band on the bottom of the film near the edge with little developement while the rest of it came out nice and dark. not sure what happened there as this was the section on the bottom of the tank and so I know it was exposed to developer and not an undefill situation.

6. TimeShare

TimeShare Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you compare the development times for HP5+ and Kentmere 400, it seems that at 20'C they recommend on average an extra 2 to 2.5 minutes of development time for Kentmere versus HP5+.

I am shooting a roll of Kentmere 400 which I intend to develop in XTOL, I'll develop for approximately 11 minutes in XTOL 1:1 versus the recommended 8.5 minutes for HP5+

7. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vincent: Sprint Developer is not so crappy. Look under the hood, it is probably closer to Ilfosol than you could guess.

Paul Krot was a genius photographer, and one of the greatest-ever all time photo teachers (RISD), not to mention legendary photo-chemist. If a developer could have heart and soul, it is Sprint. It was made to do EXACTLY what you are trying to do.

8. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sprint does have times published for the Kentmere films time chart, and the time for the 400 is longer vs. that of HP-5 so going in that direction as TimeShare says makes sense for a starting point. I'm surprised that Ilford hasn't put up a time for xtol as yet. I'm also surprised they make it so hard to get from the Ilford site to the Kentmere site, well, not so hard but not so clear either.
    Why do students always hate on the stuff the school provides? Hmm. Just a rhetorical question.

9. Cainquixote

Cainquixote Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sprint away

digital truth list the development time for hp5 as 10 mins.

A quick glance at the sprint systems website list a development time of 1130 for kentmere. both these times are for 20C.

What temp did you develop at?

Sprint isn't a crappy developer. I used it for 3 years.

editxx
    looking at a few combos it looks like the times for kentmere are very close to the times for delta 400

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  10. Oscar Carlsson

Oscar Carlsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't tried this myself, but I did find this (and this thread) while Googling for experiences with Kentmere 400 pushed to 800:

http://www.photax.se/film/kentmere/kentmere_film_data.htm

Although it's in Swedish, you'll find some development times for Kodak XTOL and Kentmere 400, but _not_ for Kentmere 100 :sad:
    "Konc" (short for "koncentrat") means stock (ie, no dilution).

11. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been doing Kentmere 400 at 12,30 minutes in Xtol 1+1. I don't have the notes with me now, but I think I used similar times (12 minutes) with Kentmere 100 in Xtol 1+1. 400 was a bit flat while the 100 had better contrast, doing contact sheets with my standard setup at grade 2,5. Neither of them are unprintable by any means, we are talking nuances here.

12. dfortier

dfortier Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been using Kentmere 400 and Xtol for a while now. I get great results with Xtol stock at 69 degrees for 8 minutes. Good density in the negatives and great contrast. Easy printing.

13. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Am I just blind, or did Sprint remove Kentmere films from this chart? I just stared at it for like 10 mins .....

14. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    God never mind ... its on the URL page, but they apparently did not update the PDF version :smile:

15. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that 5string, I will pass that along to them, The pdf should be kept current.

16. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've found some anecdotal times for Rodinal and Kentmere 400, but how come nobody publishes/uses this combo?

17. haziz

haziz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sprint developer is far from "crappy". I actually find it superb. It is my favourite developer for Ilford FP4+, prefering it over Xtol, Ilford Ilfotec DDX and Rodinal. It also at least using my metering and technique gives me box speed or a bit above (with FP4+ but not with Acros or HP5+). It appears to be a Phenidone/Hydroquinone developer designed to be somewhat similar to D76 1:1. Just because it is popular in schools and colleges and communal darkrooms does not prevent it from being a superb developer. Actually all the Sprint chemicals including their stop, rapid fix and print developer are excellent.

BTW Sprint has already published dev times for the Kentmere films:

http://www.sprintsystems.com/film_chart.php

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  18. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Now that I've been through a bunch of rolls of Kentmere 400 35mm I'm really liking it. Might be the film I settle in on .. just wish it came in 120 too so I could settle in on a film for both.

Anyhooo, I haven't souped any in Rodinal yet. Been doing Sprint 1+9 because that's what we have around the school and I haven't found any solid 1:50 rodinal times yet, and haven't had times to do my own testing. However, I like what I'm getting with the Sprint, so I may not test for awhile .. if it ain't broke, etc.

I too used to look down on Sprint chemistry for no good reason ... until I started using it a lot and did research on its history. Now I have great faith in all of it. I especially like the fixer. The print developer I waffle on depending on what paper I'm using, but for film its great. I just have a personal hard time letting go of Rodinal as its been with me for years, *sniff*

19. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Save the Rodinal for the Kentmere 100, that film builds contrast fast so some dilute Rodinal and careful agitation should make that stuff look great.

20. Romary

Romary Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

Since Jerevan posted that, does anybody tried Kentmere 100 and 400 in Xtol? What time and dilution did you used?

21. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kentmere 100 & 400 films are same as Rollei RPX 100 and 400. MDC includes dev times for Rollei RPX films. Personally, I've had best success with undiluted D76 and XTOL and EI250 (for 400!) although 1+1 dilution is not too bad either but increases grain a bit.