Kentmere and Ilford films

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by epp, Jun 18, 2012.

1. epp

epp Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Are there any differences between Kentmere and Ilford films? I saw a roll of Kentmere 400 (135) locally and bought it, but had not heard of the name previously, then recently learned it has the same parent as Ilford.

Several years back, I shot one roll of Ilford XP2 (120) and I recall the pictures came out well, not bad for the first roll of 120 I ever took. :smile:

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes.

3. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whut he sez.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    x2

5. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Google "Kentmere films" and you'll get lots of results. Unfortunately not all these results will make you happy, unless you like blotchy grain and lack of punch. That said, many people also seem to like the films, perhaps not in the least thanks to its aggressive pricing. And we all know that processing is make or break with any film. Maybe Kentmere is simply a film for the skillful.

I've never tried the films myself BTW, so take my words with a fair grain of Kentmere please :tongue:.

This is a good link: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/58301-kentmere-film-maybe-mr-galley-will-know.html

6. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've heard more people talk about Kentmere paper than Kentmere films...again, from what I've used, it didn't do it for me. But that's ONLY my personal take. Perhaps it's similar

7. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used Kentmere 100 and 400 films. They are good general purpose film, nothing special with them. They are different form FP4+ and HP5+.
    It is not true that they are very grainy. Quite normal B/W films.

8. jayvo86

jayvo86 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't the Kentmere stuff suppose to have a higher silver content (more traditional) than the newer emulsions? Or am I thinking about a different product?

-Josh

9. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Piu58 is correct :

Both KENTMERE Films and ILFORD Films ( and papers ) are coated at HARMAN technology Limited in Mobberley UK.

BUT, the KENTMERE 100 and 400 films are a completely different emulsion from the ILFORD FP4+ and HP5+ products.

All these films are 'conventional technology' films, meaning they are not CCG ( Controlled crystal growth ) films like our DELTA Professional films.

It would be inaccurate to say KENTMERE films have more silver in them.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

10. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon, I remember that years back, Ilford had some seemingly "older technology" (read: grainier) film that was called, I think, Ilford "Universal 400." It was inexpensive. Is the Kentmere similar to that?

11. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear epp,

I can only compare Kentmere 400 with HP5+ at box speed and in 35mm. Kentmere 400 is clearly "grainier" than HP5+ (a film I think should get more credit for it's fine grain look to my eye at least), but it takes a lovely photo. Try some, it's certainly priced attractively.

Neal Wydra

12. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My tongue-in-cheek take on this: a lot of people buy 2 rolls of a given film, shoot it off and develop it in a haphazard way in some whatever-developer, and then write on forums saying "oh this is not like the Tri-X that I have used for 20 years, blah, blah..." Or the other way around, "the best thing since Ansel Adams crawled out of the cradle". :smile: You need to shoot a good bit of a film and keep at it for a while to see if it works for you. And the negative is only the beginning...

For me, both K100 and 400 are really good films, with Ilford QC, at a very nice price.

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can only agree with this. Paper/developer and film/developer is a system, where if you replace one piece, something else has to be adjusted to get back to a place where you have results that you like again.
    To recognize the difference, to learn how to deal with the difference, and to learn how to use new materials takes a lot more effort than most people are willing to put up with.

You must give a new film some time and practice, explore its limitations and strengths, before you really know what it's capable of. Pushed to their limits, just about any film and developer combination can be made to work very well. The key isn't really in WHAT we use, but in HOW we use it. HOW we use our materials have a far greater effect on the outcome than the small differences between the materials. I have proven this to myself time and again when I get tempted to try something I haven't tried before, and when I end up with prints that look pretty much like the other ones, I always end up wondering whether it was worth the effort or not.

14. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You're so right Jerevan. More than once have I been one of those people who try two, three, four films and then jump to conclusions straight away. Worse, sometimes I even talk about films I haven't even tried myself! How silly can you be?

I've been wanting to try Kentmere films for a while but have too many other films lying around still. If Kentmere 400 is a grittier HP5+ then I may actually come to like it. Usually I prefer regular fine grain (Neopan 400 type), but not always.

15. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    > If Kentmere 400 is a grittier HP5+

This depends much on development. A first try will not show that exactely.

I usesd a PQ developer for K100,400 which workes fine.

16. epp

epp Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I bought a roll of 35mm, 400 speed Kentmere. I plan on trying it soon.

Thank you all for the replies/opinions.

17. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Nick,

The KENTMERE emulsions are entirely new emulsions not based on any previous ILFORD emulsions.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :