Kentmere Art Document Lithing

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Justin Maramba, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Justin Maramba

Justin Maramba Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

I've been lith printing some old Kentmere Art Document that I've found, and have seen it print really grainy in lith developer. Is this supposed to happen with this paper?

2. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    What you could be seeing is pepper fogging, which occurs with some papers. The addition of a little Sodium Sulfite and Potassium Bromide should prevent it. To start, mix up 10% solutions of each, and add them in the ratio of about 25 mL each per liter of diluted developer, working up to the amount needed for the best results. Be careful to not add too much sodium sulfite, otherwise all you'll get is low contrast prints.

For more information, see Tim Rudman's book, The Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course.

3. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Justin

I also found this paper to be very gritty and not really lithable, over the years used it many times in regular dev and toners and liked the results, but for lith I did not get great results in my Darkroom.

Bob
    UOTE=Justin Maramba;807920]Hello,

I've been lith printing some old Kentmere Art Document that I've found, and have seen it print really grainy in lith developer. Is this supposed to happen with this paper?[/QUOTE]

4. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Art Document was my first paper I ever tried lithing. After the first two sessions I abandoned it for lith. It was a very good paper otherwise, just not for lith (to me, anyway)

5. Paul Cocklin

Paul Cocklin Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not to derail the thread, but where could I buy some of this? I've seen it recommended as a paper for bromoil, but it doesn't look like Freestyle carries it, nor do any of my other usual sources. Is it still being made?

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I do not think it is being made anymore, it was a Kentmere product, there may be people with stock of it for purchase
    good luck