Kentmere Fineprint VC

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Resoman, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Resoman

Resoman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm printing a series of pictures for a specific purpose and I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to "audition" a new FB paper, Kentmere Fineprint VC. It's a nice paper, and certainly offers a lot of speed compared to the warmtone papers I've gotten accustomed to.

After a few seenium toning experiments, I think I've hit on a workable recipe: five minutes in 1:10 Harman Selenium. Much of the toning effect washes away but the end result is free of the slight green cast that I don't care for.

As nice as the Kentmere paper is, the neutral image tone reminds me that I still prefer the print color of warmer papers. I was a confirmed Agfa MC user and I anxiously await the availability of the new paper from Adox.

There is one thing about this Kentmere paper that is unique in my experience: I've never had a FB paper dry this flat before! I dry my FB prints on screens with a nearby fan keeping the air moving. I'm used to taking dry prints off the screens and having the prints resemble potato chips in terms of flatness. I've become resigned to using a dry mount press to flatten all my FB prints.

Well, I really don't think I need to flatten these Kentmere 11x14's. I've put the prints under a steel plate for now, and I think they're essentially ready for framing (except for spotting).

So, although the print color isn't precisely to my liking, the inherent flatness of the Kentmere paper has eliminated one tedious step from my FB printing regimen. In that regard, it reminds me of my first tests of the Agfa MCC, which I found to be the first paper whose color I liked so much that I didn't need to tone it!

Gary,

East Snook, TX

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's an interesting observation and a quality of the Kentmere papers that are completely in line with my experience too. Breaking the sheets out of the box, however, they were very warped and actually difficult to get into the 4-blade easel paper slot. But who cares, that only takes a couple of seconds extra.
    The paper you tried is a really good one. It took me some time to get used to using it, but I like the results I get now a lot. Very crisp in its tone, the look is very 'distinct' I think. Great deep 'weighty' blacks and a nice spread of mid-tones.
    Their graded papers, the 'Bromide' series, is also something really nice. Very neutral tone, and a fantastic tonal scale.

I'm very happy for you that you like the paper.

- Thomas

3. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered that paper a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Its nice for people who leave their opions on certain types and makes of paper. I sure enjoy being a APUG member

4. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is a warmtone version of the same paper. Unfortunately (at least in my opinion), it is only available in Finegrain semi-matt surface, not glossy. Even so, it is a good paper, and just as fast as the neutral tone base.

Ian

5. efreddi

efreddi Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I ended my stock of old Agfa MCC and while waiting for the new MCC by Adox I decided to give a run to this one, expecially attracted by the good price.

I can confirm your opinion: it's a really beautifull paper - very neutral tones, deep as expected blacks and with very brilliant white (the support is brighter than old MCC).
    Since few days I have the samples of the new Adox MCC from Fotoimpex, I'm waiting for the right moment to run a comparison test.

Elia

6. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Kentmere FP VC and Ansco 130 is a marriage made in heaven.

7. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried out Fineprint VC about 6 months ago and I love printing with it. I get good results with Dektol 1+3 and I am happy.

8. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is interesting that Simon Galley of Ilford started a thread a good number of months ago about trying to produce FB which dried flat or relatively so compared to its current FB. This was way before it took over Kentmere. Now that it has and has access to all Kentmere's secrets, including its remarkably flat paper, I wonder if this will help Ilford with its project to produce flatter Ilford FB or simply cause it to drop the idea because it can now offer paper that is fairly flat. It might be that pursuing even flatter Kentmere paper might be the way to go.

An update on Ilford's project would be helpful. If not now, then I have a feeling that information may be pursued at the very frank and open Q&A that Ilford grants the group on the Ilford tour.

It's a great WYSIWYG tour undertaken by refreshingly WYSIWYG people.

pentaxuser

9. Resoman

Resoman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Eric said:

"Kentmere FP VC and Ansco 130 is a marriage made in heaven."

I'm using the Photographer's Formulary 130 - I've assumed it's essentially the same formula as Ansco 130, is that correct?

Gary

East Snook, TX

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't actually know if it's the same as the original Ansco 130 formula, but I do know it's excellent stuff. It's my standard paper developer, and I'm trying to develop film in it too.

- Thomas

11. galyons

galyons Member

Yes, PF 130 uses the classic formula for Ansco 130.
    Ansco 130

Water (125 degrees F) . . . . . . . . . . . . . 750 ml
    Metol . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.2 g
    Sodium Sulfite (Anhydrous) . . . . . . . . . 50 g
    Hydroquinone . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11 g
    Sodium Carbonate (Monohydrate) . . . . . 78 g
    Potassium Bromide . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.5 g
    Glycin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11 g
    Cold Water to make . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 liter

Cheers,
    Geary

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
  12. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    It lith prints quite well too. :smile:

13. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This formula indicates 1g Hydroquinone and the Cookbook's formula calls for 11g. Is this a typo?

14. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  15. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine favorite combo too! And my name is Eric as well!!

16. galyons

galyons Member

Yes, poor attempt on my part to line the numbers up! Corrected now!
    Thanks,
    Geary

17. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a new box of this paper about a month ago and have not used it yet.

I am planning on using it with ilford warm tone developer.

I'll let you all know.

One question though....is this a true double weight paper?

18. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to the included fact sheet it is double weight.

I find that Fineprint VC is a fairly good substitute for Forte Polygrade V.

19. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I started using it to replace Kodak Polymax and continued happily. I use Ilford Multigrade developer with it.

John Powers

20. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ditto.

I assume that the Ilford Selenium toner is the same concentration as KRST. So 1:10 for 5 minutes (at room temp) would result in a very reddish print in my darkroom. Is that what you are getting?

I use KRST at 1:17 for 2:45 - 3:00 which is just before it switches to eggplant. That is long enough to remove the green and significantly increase Dmax to my eye. I use Zone VI developer 1:3.

I agree that it dries flat like Polymax did. I still flatten in a dry mount press after the print dries though.

It seems sad that everyone is looking for the next Forte Polywarmtone but I don't think it is out there. Maybe the new Adox paper will come through.

21. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Re: Polywarmtone

Try Fomatone MG 131 - It is a good substitute.

- Thomas

22. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that is also my experience.

23. Resoman

Resoman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Jerold commented:

"I assume that the Ilford Selenium toner is the same concentration as KRST. So 1:10 for 5 minutes (at room temp) would result in a very reddish print in my darkroom. Is that what you are getting?"

No, not at all. When I look at a toned print, the print color seems pretty neutral. When I compare toned with untoned, the difference is slight though apparent.

This is my first use of the Ilford Selenium and I haven't used KRST for about five years, now. I assumed they'd be about the same; perhaps someone who knows can comment on this.

Gary,

East Snook, TX