Kentmere RC Boxes split apart

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Kilgallb, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Now that Ilford owns Kentmere, will we see them replace the awful boxes used for the 100 sheet 8x10 papers. They always split apart in the corners. I usually transfer the whole box to an empty Ilford box.

Don't get me wrong, I love the papers.

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least you're getting boxes. :smile: My local dealer stocks the Ilford eco-packs which are essentially the papers, double-bagged without a box. Does the job but a box is handy for storing proof prints later. I've kept some old boxes for this very purpose.

3. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good idea. Any chance Simon?

Even 10-year old Ilford boxes are way stronger than spanking new Kentmere ones (though taping up the Kentmere boxes' corners with gaffer tape helps a lot)... Also useful for transferring paper from 10 or 25-sheet envelopes.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    This puts me off Kentmere a bit. Even Jessops boxes are fairly robust. If that comparison isn't enough of an incentive for Harman Ilford then I don't know what is:D

Seriously for those who don't automatically decant the whole box into a paper safe and throw the box, good boxes are invaluable in the darkroom. There are the last line of defence against any possibility of light fogging. Lee Frost even uses his boxes( Ilford) to store his liquid emulsioned papers until they dry.

If Kentmere previously "cut corners" on box construction then I would have thought it would pay Ilford to rectify matters.

Here's hoping

pentaxuser

5. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This problem isn't unique to Kentmere. I used a lot of Freestyle's Arista paper over the years, and their boxes were also a bit flimsy.

The problem isn't with the gauge of the cardboard. Boxes are formed by bending the cardboard, and then glueing a layer of paper over everything to both seal the corners and provide a base for the printed advertising. The problem is that the paper layer doesn't provide a lot of strength.

The solution: reinforce the corners with 'packing tape' - that semi-transparent tape that has nylon fibers embedded in it. I've been using the same two 8x10 boxes for at least 15 years - one for FB paper and one for RC.

6. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I will have a look at it, I am aware that the boxes are not like ILFORD Photo boxes, although they must be
    ( and are, we checked, fit for purpose ) the reason is pretty obvious our boxes are more robust and more expensive to make, I know as we have had the same box maker since 1946.....so they are very, very good.
    Its just one of the reasons ILFORD Paper is more expensive then KENTMERE paper.

I will promise to look at it in detail and come back to you

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Simon. It all depends on where you go. A quick internet search revealed that in 4 cases Kentmere was more expensive and in one case much more. While in two cases Ilford was the more expensive and in one case considerably more.

In a couple of cases as quoted above the difference was very small either way. I appreciate that you have no control over retail prices from stockist to customer but in four cases the customer is getting the poorer box and the more expensive paper.

Maybe, just maybe, if you produced the more expensive box and passed on the extra cost to the retailer, they would absorb it in their current price. In three out of the 4 cases where the customer is paying extra for being a Kentmere enthusiast I suspect the price premium paid for being that enthusiast is about at its limit.

I am going to give Kentmere a go one day but I'll certainly avoid those
    retailers who appear to be charging a large premium for Kentmere with its poorer box.

pentaxuser

8. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kentmere are certainly not alone in this. I bought 2 boxes of Foma paper and they were both split.