Kentmere stopping matt papers?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by koja, Nov 20, 2012.

1. koja

koja Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I've been told by local importer in Czech Republic that Kentmere is halting production of matt papers at least for some time. Could someone confirm this?

Please keep your posts on topic and avoid speculations and opinions. I don't like to search through 10 pages of those to find only handful of posts with information in them.

I hope it's not going to happen because I am running out of matt paper producers. My last attempt was to buy some Efke paper and needless to say anything about how succesful it went. I'm a lucky guy :wink:

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a side note: Kentmere is just a brand by now.

3. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There hasn't been any Kentmere matt paper, at least in FB, for a few years now, they never made a true matt paper, but when they were taken over by Harman all FB matt stopped, they are not, as far as I know, stopping the fine lustre in RC vc select, but the only kentmere FB paper currently in production is the Fineprint glossy, so if you have been using any Kentmere fb matt paper it must be very old stock, as an aside, Ilford still make a true matt paper in both RC (The silk, I think) and the FB papers.
    Richard

4. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Koja,

We have not announced the discontinuation of any KENTMERE product, FB KENTMERE Matt papers in FB were stopped before we bought KENTMERE, and we sold out the remaining stocks post acquisition,the RC Satin products continue.

Dear AGX : KENTMERE is a brand, but not just a brand, and we value it very much, it has its own dedicated formulations that are KENTMERE only, and it now has a range of two films as well. Yes it is wholly owned by HARMAN and coated by HARMAN but it enjoys its own distribution channel and its own dedicated and very loyal customers.

Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Simon, by being "just" a brand I wanted to indicate that Kentmere is no longer the maker of these products, as the OP hinted at a production by Kentmere. As you indicated my wording was not well chosen, as it could be read as anything being packed under this label.

6. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear AGX

No I understood....sorry, I was not meaning to sound grumpy !!!

Kind Regards,

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

7. koja

koja Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, my mistake. It was finegrain fb not matt. So is it being discontinued?

8. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like Simon answered it: "We have not announced the discontinuation of any KENTMERE product..." Which is a very refreshing thing to read these days of product demise.

10. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem may be the importer had a sizable inventory when a product was discontinued a while ago, and they won't say it's discontinued until they actually run out.

11. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think importers and retail outlets seem to often declare products discontinued when THEY can't or won't be getting any more, perhaps to discourage you from shopping for it elsewhere and maybe encourage you instead to buy another product from them. B&H seems to have perfected this system.

12. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Simon answered the question. The fine grain surface has not been made for some years now, certainly never since Harman bought the Kentmere Brand, which is very sad for me as it saw the demise of one of the best warmtone papers made, the Kentmere Fineprint Warmtone fine grain, a unique paper. Kentmere fineprint in now ONLY available in Glossy, and has been for a long time, I am a long term Kentmere user and when the Fine grain surface went I cried into my fixer.
    If you have been able to get the Fine Grain surface then it must be pretty old stock, so enjoy it while you can, I think the nearest surface to the old Kentmere surface is used for one of the Foma papers,
    Richard

13. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I might be incorrect, but it certainly seems to me that the quality of the coating of Fineprint went up
    after Harmon acquired it. With the older paper I sometimes got some "zits" of uneveness, and it recently happened to a friend of mine who got ahold of some older paper shipped by someone who
    didn't properly rotate their inventory. I like Fineprint because it can be coaxed into a rich true cold
    tone using amidol and gold toner, and makes a wonderful complement for the other direction of
    tones possible with MGWT.

14. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kentmere had their own coating line at their factory in the Lake District. When Harman took the photographic side of the business over, the coating was understandably transferred to the Ilford factory in Cheshire. It is quite likely that this meant quality control improved, as Kentmere were quite a small outfit.

15. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Humm, you've mentioned this before. Does anyone know how well it responds with cool tones using more commonly available (and less staining than amidol) materials like Moersch SE-6 and Selenium? Or even LPD mixed strong for cool tone? That could be something I'd like a lot, but I don't see myself mixing amidol developer and investing in gold toner just for this one paper and effect.

16. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Roger, selenium alone won't give a cold neutral black. You'll get more of a chestnut brownish bias
    to the black - not brown per se, but an unusual effect a bit different than other papers. Might be
    agreeable for certain images. Same with developers. The MQ or PQ cold tone developers that might
    work for other papers won't achieve a true black on Fineprint. They classify it as "neutral" tone,
    and the silver iodide emulsion is rather unique. Amidol is cheap to use. It's very effective and one
    rarely needs as much of it as some of the recipes call for. But there's certainly no harm in using PQ
    cold developers. You'll still get a rich print, but with an image color a little more like MCC.