Kentmere VC Select Fine Lustre

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Sean, May 31, 2004.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm on the hunt for a good paper to do my 35mm tri-x street shots on. One of the few papers readily available, cheap, and in New Zealand near my place of work is Kentmere VC Select. The print sample looked very nice, but I am hesitant to go with RC paper. Should I keep looking or suck it up and deal with special ordering? I may just get a pack of 25 and try it out. Also, I've never really used RC paper so any advice on it's archival properties or anything is appreciated -such as when you spot tone rc papers can you see the dye at certain angles..

I've been a posting machine lately, guess you can tell I'm close to up and running :smile:

2. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah, if anyone is familiar with this paper, dev recommendations are welcome. I'm looking for cold tone.

3. livemoa

livemoa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean, I have used Agfa Classic fibre for lots of proofing and finished prints of late. I found that by usin resin I came close to giving up on negs that were actualy good for fibre prints.

David

PS. In Auckland doing interviews again, taking 10 minute breaks to clear my head. Next time we should try and have lunch again.

4. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds good :smile:

say, is there anywhere to order supplies online in NZ? paper, chem, etc? thanks!

5. livemoa

livemoa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usaly do it by phone. Auckland camera exchange may be a good bet. In Wellington I use Wellington Photographic supplies

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kentmere papers are top quality in my opinion. The emulsion on the RC is a very close match to that on the fibre, so test prints can be done on RC with confidence. I guess the best thing you can do is buy a small sample, and play!

7. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Somewhere i read, think it was in Tim Rudman's book that in the states that paper goes by the trade name of Luminous. I have tried a small sample of their neutral fiber and it was nice, The most interesting thing was when toning with selenium it didn't shift to even a light color change after 10 minutes.
    Will be trying some more myself when i finish a few other projects on my plate.

8. Snapper

Snapper Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Kentmere VC Select (glossy) is my RC paper of choice - better (and cheaper) that Ilford MG in my opinion.