Kentucky Bi Annual Arts Festival

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Bob Carnie, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi All- this is something we are working on and I hope some of our Southern Brothers and Sisters can join us in October, I will be there with my wife and two dogs Barney and Lucy, let us offer you a nice glass of Ontario wine and meet a bunch of my friends.

Canadians Invade Kentucky Photo Biennial October 2011*
    Many photographers have longed for an opportunity to show their personal work. How many times have you*stood in front of a fine art photography exhibit and said: "I can do that." Well, here's your chance to get the exposure you need to break in.
    Canadians are invited by Elevator Exhibitions to join in the Canadian Invasion at the Kentucky Photo Biennial. In October, Canadian's will be celebrated as*the highlight of the Photography Festival in Louisville.
    This opportunity*for a Fine Art Photography Cultural Exchange between Canada and the US*has been created by Elevator Exhibitions, the newest part of the Elevator family.* With our collective connections to the American photography scene, we are taking a truckload of*fabulous photography down to Louisville.*The 2011 Kentucky Photo Biennial will be the first in a series of*travelling exhibitions.
    The Louisville Kentucky*Photography Biennial is*on for the month of October.
    The Canadian Invasion by the Elevator team, and any photographers willing to make the trek, will be on the weekend of October 21, 22, 23. Various gallerys will be hosting various parties on those three*days. This is an excellent opportunity to meet and greet gallerists and artists from all over the US. Elevator Exhibitions will be producing Convention Center group show and its opening will kick off the Canadian celebration.
    Get in at ground level.*This opportunity is an ‘edge of the wedge’ to get into the fine art photography world. Get noticed by museum curators, gallerists, photo collectors. Learn the ropes, and help jump start your fine art photography sales.
    Elevator*Exhibitions*are scheduled to*travel onto additional photography festivals, we are looking for host city’s to tap into our project, as well hope to have new photographers; Canadian, Mexican, American, as we broaden the Elevator Exhibition Circuit over the next three to four years.

Toronto is home to the largest photography festival in the world with its CONTACTPHOTO festival. This has put Canadian photography, and its artists, on a world stage. With all that buzz, we feel the time is right to promote Canadian work in the US as we*are seen to be the fine art photographers to watch.

Join the invasion. Meet us at this amazing event in Louisville.
    For info go to http://www.elevatorexhibitions.com

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Wow 50 thousand analogue people on APUG and only 53 views , what am I missing???

maybe I should have labeled the thread title
    Big Titties on display at Louisville Kentucky
    I am sure the view rate would explode.

It amazes me what is of value to this membership.

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob,
    It's the 4th weekend here for us in the USA so that may have something to do with the slow response.

I'm maybe...8 hours away from Louisville but it sounds interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011
  4. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    8 hours maybe by very slow helicopter. In a car it'll take you about 10 hours of driving time + whatever stops you make. I always figure it at 12 hours door to door from my house in Gaithersburg to Paletti's gallery in Louisville.

Maybe we could get a few DC area guys together for this road trip and save gas money. I know at least 3 people including myself who will probably be interested.

5. dlin

dlin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob,

I'm looking forward to the exhibition.

Best,
    Daniel

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Well I am hoping to meet as many APUGers from the District surrounding Louisville.
    The visit to Paul Gallery in Lousiville is worth a five hour drive from any direction.
    I am hoping my friends from South, North Carolina and Georgia visit, not to mention all the surrounding states. Kentucky seems to be smack dab in the center of the States and with carpooling and efficiency suites the financial pain should be not so bad.

These kind of events are a great way to meet other like minded people and I have visited Louisville and its a first rate city , very friendly and accomadating. Our family is looking forward to this event and we hope a lot of you can visit and enjoy the weekend.

Also remember I am buying your first glass of wine on fri night and it will be from the Niagara region of Ontario , which produces wonderful wine.

7. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It will be nice seeing you again Daniel, its been a couple of years since Bills shindig.

8. dlin

dlin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob,

Missed seeing you at the recent Photostock. You, the Mrs. and the dogs would have had a blast!
    Marked my calendar for October and hope to share some bourbon at Paul's.

Best,
    Daniel

9. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's about a 9-10 hour drive for me, too, but I'll be visiting the Lexington area around that time so I should be able to make it out there. Sounds like fun!

10. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It would be nice to see you.. I think a visit on Fri or Sat to Pauls gallery is worth the trip alone for die hard photographers.. I will see if I can set up a visit timeline while everyone is in town to visit Palettie Gallery.

We will be posting places to stay in Louisville shortly and I will keep people updated as to what the Canadians are doing , as well events going on by the people from Louisville.
    Lexington is close if my memory serves me right.

11. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Lexington is 80+ miles from Louisville. There will be plenty of places in Louisville and the surrounding areas to stay without having to travel as far away as Lexington.

12. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks Greg

I am sure there are tons of places to stay within an hours drive for any budget . The main Canadian group is planning to stay at the Marriot they have rooms where you can cook( we Canadians are use to seal blubber and not sure if it is available in Kentucky) and some of the big rollers will stay at the 21c hotel and museum
    Which by the way is one of the coolest hotels I have ever stayed at.
    It alone is worth the trip to Louisville.

13. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Lexington's about an hour away from Louisville.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And I'm sure he'll be making Dumante Manhattan's.

16. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I call him the devil, he has gotten me in trouble twice now at Steve Shermans.

17. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lexington is about 1 1/2 hours or so... Not bad at all. Where I'll be will be more like 2 1/2 hours but I think my friend and I will enjoy the trip. I have to iron out the dates I'll be there, but this will help narrow it down.

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Confirmed dates are Fri October 21 - Sun October 23 for the Canadians to be present, we are hoping to add a few lectures or possible workshops the days leading to the 21st of October, and I have requested Paul Palettie to open his gallery on one of the weekend mornings for APUG, DPUg and Large Format photo geeks get a private tour of his collection. I have to say again, this alone is worth the trip, he has a wonderful collection on the walls.

19. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You have to go many a mile to find a finer collection in private hands. Listen to Bob. http://paulpalettigallery.com/collection/

20. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After a brief discussion with my friend she gave me a "That sounds great!" response so unless something really unexpected happens I will be there.

21. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Some of us are on vacation, and believe it or not without internet access (interest)

Good luck Bob, I'm sure it will be a huge success.

Will be in Louisville in a month with Zebra man!!

Cheers

22. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You have it easier than I do. Just get on I-64 and head West. Road conditions and traffic get pretty yucky around Charleston (at least they did the last time I went that way) but you don't have to worry about directions.

23. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, it's pretty easy for me, I've driven out there probably a dozen times or so. Charleston is always pretty crappy to drive through. Seems like every time I go through there I hit road construction of some sort

24. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    From my place in Gaithersburg, it's lower stress to take I-70 to I-68 to Morgantown and then get I-79 down to I-64 in Charleston.

25. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    One of the schedualed events will be at Paul Paletties gallery. He has agreed to
    open in the morning, either Sat or Sun tbd, He will be there to show all the photo geeks like myself and most of you around and talk about his collection and for me this is great as I get to see the prints again and soak up a bit of history.
    Paul really is really cut from another cloth and you will be surprised with his collection if you have not visited him before.

Confirmed as well for the Canadian Invasion , 10 + shows of various artists (myself included) at the Mellwood Art Center. This will probably be Sat night and should be quite an event. We are very lucky Emy at the Mellood Art Center stepped up to the plate and hit a home run for us.

Just think, you can look at my solarizations and say (HUHH what hell are those) Just be gentle on me, I am getting old and feeble and cannot take critisism.

We are now almost sold out so to speak on shows that gallerys are picking, We are talking with about three more exhibit spaces to take on solo shows, once they are confirmed this part of the planning is done.
    but we are actively selling Flats for the Kentucky Convention Center. ( It looks like we are taking on the main floor walls and ceilings) So if you are Canadian, if you have a pulse, if you want to join in an festival that will highlight Canadian Artists the third weekend in October , jump in with both feet , get your work out there. Give us a call and we can see how you can be part of the show.

We are checking passports to make sure none of the sneaky americans try to pass themselves off as Canadians to get into the show. If you have no passport then you have to shoot a puck into the top corner of the net to prove your status.

26. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have heard there is one designated Friday night of each month where several of the galleries in an area stay open late to host a "pub crawl" style open house, encouraging visitors going from one gallery to the next.
    Does this weekend in October coincide with a Friday night open house like I've heard about? I'm only about 2.5 hours drive from Louisville, but have yet to get up there to visit any of the galleries. I'll try to get out of town that weekend and head north for this event.

Chris