Key West... any tips?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by keithwms, Aug 4, 2010.

1. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Going to Key West tomorrow for a few days, for business, and may have some shooting time on the side. Any good tips? Anyone?

2. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Old town and a long lens for your RB. The gingerbread houses there are awesome - you could make some fine detail shots.

Also, mosquito repellent (in case you haven't seen the news articles lately).

3. dentkimterry

dentkimterry Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I go the Key West twice a year usually. There is lots to see and shoot on Duval St. That is where most of the tourist action is but I like to shoot a street or two off Duval, Simonton and Whitehead streets. I like the unusual architecture of the buildings and homes. The pastel colors of everything are amazing. I also shoot black and white. I usually just walk around with my camera on a tripod and shoot what catches my eye. It's going to be hotter than hell down there right now so plan to shoot early in the morning. This time of year I would start shooting at 6am till about 9am. The town is fairly quiet these hours most any day of the week. No one will bother you.

Terry

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good tips, thanks! Hadn't thought of mozzie repellent...

5. dentkimterry

dentkimterry Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take an snorkeling trip one morning/afternoon. Lots of good coral formations and nifty fish. Too bad you didn't post this earlier or I could have loaned you my Sea & Sea MX10 for diving/snorkeling.

7. patois

patois Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't been there in forever but I remember cool forts, lots of cats and some interesting things in and around the bridges.

8. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you have the time to spend, I would recommend the day trip out to the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson. My favorite pictures from my trip to Key West were taken there. Other than that, I enjoyed the inner part of the island where the "natives" live over than the Duval madness.

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, Duval sucks! But after two trips, I have now started to find a few decent spots. I hope to get out in a boat next time around. My main observation is that Miami is surprisingly beautiful from the air. I think it's really quite beautiful the way the skyline mingles with the ocean. And the flight from Miami to Key West... it's a wonderful tour of countless little islands that appear as bright green dots amid the vibrant colours of sand and coral mingling in the blue water currents. Key West itself.... not my cup of tea. The banyan trees are just about the only genuine items I was able to find. My brother sailed out to the Dry Tortugas and had nice things to report- I will add that to my list.

10. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Key West is a college spring break destination designed to keep kids drunk and isolated on an island.