Kickstarter Project: Analogbook - The Photographers Notebook

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Ed Bray, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Saw this on the Large Format Forum, looked useful enough to me for me to pledge support. I have no other connection with the project or people involved just thought it would be of interest to people here:

Apologies if this is not allowed, just thought it a useful tool that would be of interest here.

http://kck.st/1kO1sl1

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A interesting idea.

But in spite a lot of talking and writing of him I still don't know what the pages contain.

3. Arctic amateur

Arctic amateur Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I find it odd that I would need so much more note space per shot on medium format compared to 35mm.

4. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well it's much bigger film, of course.
    imagine how big the notebook would have to be for an ULF shooter ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  5. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aaah

A joke, right? A bit of humor to make the day go by in a more pleasant manner? I presume the book for subminiature cameras would fit in a thimble.

6. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
  7. fretlessdavis

fretlessdavis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From the photos, it doesn't look like anything super special. I carry a couple Rite-in-the-Rain notepads around, which are waterproof and not very expensive. They go everywhere with me. I am very clumsy at times, and can tell you that not only are they water proof, they are also Fixer proof =P.

If I want organized, uniform columns, I break out the straight edge and label things by hand. That whey I have space for what I need, and nothing more.

8. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think he might mean something else: "Opening up my film folders I found countless sheets of paper with exposure and color correction notes. There had to be a better way..."
    This doesn't seem so special, lots of exposure records out there. The trick is connecting the notes back to the film. I think twin checks could be good, some sort of easy numbering system. I hate doing too much writing in the field.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In never came across any. And this is only the second one I learn about.

10. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting.

My company is launching a mini binder product (called the EarthBinder -- They are 100% recycled) that has similar applications. We are offering these in two forms: Companies who want a custom imprint can buy in bulk, and we are also in the process of developing a catalog of titles that will be available for individual (although we may sell them as three or five packs) sale. As the resident photographer in the office, I offered some suggestions for titles. The fact that the pages are removable seems a plus so you can keep the exposure notes with the negatives.

Within the next few months, we'll have our catalog up for sale on-line.

Sorry if this seems excessively solicitous. Seemed relevant to the thread.

[​IMG]

11. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm dating myself but Morgan and Lester had one, Ansel Adams had one in his book that you could copy, Zone VI had one that Calumet still carried not too long ago, I think the Formulary had one, maybe still do. More common in the LF world. A notebook is good, I'd like to have twin check stickers as well, to match record to roll and then to negative sleeve with a number.

12. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Erik,
    I think "had one" is the right phrase. But these aren't available anymore, are they? I saw a few old ones (partially used) pass by on Ebay for over $10.
    So I don't mind getting me a fresh one for much less.
    Yes, my iPhone or iPad could do the same, but since I like to do these things analogue, I like a nice little notebook (i.e. NOT a portable computer, but a booklet to write in) and a pencil.
    Silly old me, I guess ...
    BTW: these stickers would be nice too!
    Bert from Holland

13. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I think you are right! I'm living in the past. These do look good and I'm with you, much prefer a simple pencil note to typing on the phone. Could be a fun DIY project as well.

14. papercrate

papercrate Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suppose I should finally chime in as this is my project. Thanks for letting the forum know about it Ed. Thanks to everybody else as well, for the supportive comments and even the snarky. Every bit helps make Analogbook that much better.

We're at 142% funded with still two days remaining! So thanks again to all those who have supported the project and offered great feedback so far. Looking forward to creating an awesome set of photography notebooks for you all!

15. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A good idea papercrate. These were more commonly available in the past but with the advent of digital and metadata, not so much anymore.

I wish you luck as I do feel there is a niche market for this type of thing.

16. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're not living in the past...:wink:

A notebook and pencil is faster to use in the field; you don't need its battery charged; you don't need to back it up, print it, e-mail it, etc., etc. Computers/Tablets/Smart Phones, as much as I like their convenience, are not the answer to every simple task.

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think this would be more effective if there were an app designed around the notebook, so you could take an image of the page and it would translate the info into a spreadsheet with the same template as the paper.

Paper is great but it's easier to store things long term digitally as a reference and backup. Often when I'm posting an image, I'm using my phone and no where near my paper notes. Fortunately, my file names are the info for the development data, I should probably expand that to be shooting data too, long string names are a pain, and they don't seem to let you add metadata into the file when you scan it... Annoying...