kiev 88 split focus screen problem

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by fbonito, Feb 13, 2012.

1. fbonito

fbonito Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hello,

i was given have a kiev 88 with a split focus sreen, this screen seamed to be not very bright, i then realised that it was mounted backwards, with the matte finish on top.
    tumblr_lzc6o8z92k1qi49yxo1_500.jpg
    after a search i came the matte side of the screen needs to be turned down, in the direction of the mirror.

but i can't focus 100% with the split image, for example to the infinity.

the screen has a metal frame, matte glass with the split magnifying glass, a frame spacer and a clear glass with a grid.

what is the correct position of these elements?
    should the convex part of the magnifying glass be to top or bottom?

can anyone check on their kiev, or hasselblad, how the focus screen is mounted?

thanks everyone

2. pekelnik

pekelnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    On 500c/m I have the frame mounted as #1 (when viewing from above) with matte side on the bottom.

3. fbonito

fbonito Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    pekelnik, thank you for your reply, but i didn't understand your answer, because the images are from the same screen up and down, you say that you see the first image in from above, but then you say that this is in the bottom?

4. pekelnik

pekelnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are 2 orientation questions- which way is the focusing screen in the frame and which way is the frame in the camera. I'm saying that the frame should be in so that it looks like #1 from above (i.e. you see only one part of the frame, not 2 parts) and at the same time the focusing screen should be in the frame so that the ground side is on the bottom and glossy side is on the top.

5. Too old to care

Too old to care Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is the way mine is too, and it works well.

6. fbonito

fbonito Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    well i figure it out now...

it seems that the mirror is slightly misaligned causing the focus not to be 100% in the split focus...

but if i use the focus screen down side up i can get a very good focus...

kiev 88 temper...

i will have to keep it like that until i get the mirror aligned

thanks for all your help