Kiev problems

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by daveandiputra, Sep 9, 2010.

1. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    so after two rolls of films i just found out two rpoblems with my kiev
    1. the rangefinder is misaligned, :sad:
    2. after firing on bulb setting and winding, if i move the shutter speed the curtain slide open on its own.

i'm thinking of getting the rangefinder misalignment fixed on my own using guides from the kiev survival site, but i dont know about the bulb problem, anybody experienced it? what do you think caused it?

regards,

Dave

2. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From something I read on the web, the Kievs do not like having the shutter speed changed once you have cocked the shutter.

3. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    no, it is recommended to cocked the shutter before changing the shutter speed, although some say, unlike other russian RF, it wouldn't malfunction if you don't. and now the problem is apparently not limited to bulb, changing the speed to a faster occasionally does the same thing.

after i opened the back casting, i found out that there's a latch on the curtains that i think supposed to be held by the shutter mechanism,but in my case that sometimes slips. at least i think that is the problem, would love to hear from a more experienced tinkerer about that.

Regards,

Dave

4. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  5. Metroman

Metroman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have to cock the shutter before changing speed.

Kievaholic Klub

6. Blanc

Blanc Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    The curtain problem was/is a cmmon prblem on contaxes and it's copies.
    It usually comes from the latch you saw or a bad/misaligned pair of ribbons.

There are a lot of variations of this latch even in contaxes, let's say that I usually fix the problem by drilling a hole and welding a small 0.6mm rod. Then I File the rod at 45° and drill a hole in the latch.
    This trick's usability depends on the model of the camera/latch used to build it!

I must tell are part of those that really benefits of a full and complete overhaul, USSR greases weren't designed for our climate and may be a huge problem later

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  7. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    thanks for the links Craig, aren't they just something (Kievs) the viewfinder may be squinty, and the quirks are a plenty, but handling one is certainly a joy even compared to a F2 :D

Hi Blanc, Can You show me some pictures of how it is done? i'm pretty sure that this is the cause on this case.

Regards,

Dave

8. Blanc

Blanc Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi Dave,
    well right now I don't have any of them on my bench (or in my own collection) but as soon as one comes I'll keep you updated.

9. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That will be Great, many thanks.

regards,

Dave

10. Blanc

Blanc Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi dave, if you can't wait fr me you should take a look at zeisscamera.com i think he posted various images of the lock

11. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi

Unless the camera is worn or defective you can change the shutter speed before or after winding. It should remain capped.

Noel

12. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi, can't seem to find the picture of the shutter on the site,

actually i tried to bend the hook on the shutter release mechanism slightly, so it works for now, not a perfect solution, but it'll do for now i think.

oh actually i have one more concern on the camera, the dreaded kiev film spacing, i've read that slightly unsrewing the screw on the winding rod might solve the problem, do you have any experience on this?

Regards,

Dave

13. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yep. but i dont worry about the film spacing, it is not that bad on mine anyway, Though i tend to leave things alone if i can live with it. Hey, what kinda Kiev would it be without some idiosyncracy:- ))
    regards
    Craig

14. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    i agree Craig, we've got to have something to differentiate ourselves from those German brethren no? haha.. but sometimes the spacing are so close (not yet overlapping though) that i got a hard time when trying to print the negative.

15. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi

There are three issues in this thread two capping one wind on clutch.

The wind on clutch is a problem but if your are not ripping out sprocket holes I leave it alone, it is impossible to make the ContaxII design sapce frames like a Leica.

If you are ripping out sprocket holes then a little light sewing machine oil between the screw and the forks of the wind on spool side, invert camera, drip on the screw head, mop up any excess with a cotton bud. The clutch is just a fibre washer, so dont use fire hose techniques...

There are three latches which latch the shutter, two each side of slats of the roller blind, which lock the leading blind and the trailing blind as the shutter is re-cocked, and a safety catch which locks the blinds in the ready to fire position.

The safety catch can be omitted and the shutter should still be ok. I'd not remove it deliberately.

The capping latches do wear and can cause problems independent of the safety catch, you need to strip the shutter module and bend them, tricky if you have fat fingers... This should only happen if the camera has had a lot of use.

Wind and fire the shutter with the back off if the shutter uncaps during wind on it is the capping latches...

Cheaper to buy another Kiev.

Noel
    P.S if you have a late Keiv with a fixed wind on spool then you will need to remove to access the wind on clutch, small screwdriver...

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

You must mean Rollei because Hasselblad is make in Sweden!

Ahh ... now I finally understand the mentality of someone who would buy a Kiev!

Jus' sayin' :whistling:

17. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You do have to know though Steve, that the Kiev in question is a Contax copy.
    So a copy of a camera made in Germany.

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Whatev' ... since when did facts on internet ever matter? :wink:

19. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    made in sweden

but really, thanks for all the suggestions and help guys, really appreciate it

regards,

Dave